Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most of the pool stores around me are closed not sure when they are opening so trying to think of other sand that can be used thats the same size tried play sand once and didnt like it was to small for my liking is there anything else out there thats fairly cheap?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I went to the local cement plant and got what they call Mason Sand. Its just silica sand. Thats what I am using in my 75 right now I really like it. Its about $5 for 100lbs but you do need to rinse it well. Not as clean as PFS but about the same size and heavy enough that it doesn't blow around and when you turn it with your fingers it just sinks right back down.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Not sure where in Ohio you are, but around here we have the Litehouse store chain. They are open all year. Some of them run out of PFS in winter, but I bought a bag in Ravenna just yesterday.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
near piqua ohio and think he have watsons but drove by today and that store doesnt open till april :( maybe theres another one thats open all year round

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i looked closes store to me is 45min or so :roll: may have to break down and make the drive if the store i'm calling doesnt work out

·
Registered
452 Posts
What size tank are you needing it for? I have some black 3m sand I could part with when you pick up your fish ... Just needs to be rinsed and it's ready to go.

Have some shells too ....

And some tanks ....

:thumb:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Most of the pool supply places around here handle hot tubs and spas so they're open year around. You may have to have them order it this time of year, or you could wait a month till they actually stock it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found a store close took me looking up hot tubs and spas to find the store but said they had some in so thats a plus :thumb: and it isnt hour away haha even better

1 - 11 of 11 Posts