Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to find out the exact breed of my fish if I got them from Petsmart and some of them were in an assorted peacocks tank

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Unfortunately most are hybrids are are not an "exact" anything. So called " Assorted Peacocks" are usually cross genera hybrids like the "OB Peacock", or some sort of "Red" line bred which can vary a lot, and Fryeri X Aulonocara hybrids. They sell Jacobfreibergi "Eureka" which may not be a natural fish but are at least identifiable. Also see them sell "Haps" Venustus and Milomo, which are not (usually) hybrids.

·
Registered
767 Posts
noki said:
Unfortunately most are hybrids are are not an "exact" anything. So called " Assorted Peacocks" are usually cross genera hybrids like the "OB Peacock", or some sort of "Red" line bred which can vary a lot, and Fryeri X Aulonocara hybrids. They sell Jacobfreibergi "Eureka" which may not be a natural fish but are at least identifiable. Also see them sell "Haps" Venustus and Milomo, which are not (usually) hybrids.
I find this to be very true. Petsmart is not the best place to buy from if you are wanting a nice pure bred fish.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just can't buy a fish from petsmart or petco. Every time I am in either place they always have dead, dying or sickly looking fish in tanks. I just don't trust the handling of their livestock. If you do buy from them I strongly suggest that you quarantine for an extended period of time before mixing them in tank.
My suggestion is to find a reputable online source if a good LFS is not available. Well worth the few extra dollars. Find other people locally in the hobby an order together to alleviate the shipping costs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts