Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that cichlids are some of the smartest aquarium fish with the most personality, as I set up a 20 gallon long tank (maximum allowed in apt.) I am interested in knowing your opinion on some of the most fun to have, personality wise. I assume I'd be choosing from the apistogramma family, and I would love to also have schooling fish. Would this be a bad idea?

I am fairly new to aquariums, I had ones as a child and have been keeping a 5.5 with a betta and a shrimp (The betta is well cared for though and I do my best to make sure it has optimal environment). So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Are you interested only in African cichlids? Because your choices will be limited. I'd go the South American route, personally. In my 20, I had rams--a breeding pair, 9 (though you can have up to 12) small schooling fish (like tetras), and bottom feeders (cories--4-6).

·
Registered
220 Posts
A 20 is a bit small for N. Brichardi. I have a 40 and it's barely big enough. They breed like rabbits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.