75 gallon 13 Africans cichlids

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20-30 nitrates

Temp 80-82 ( no option to lower this )
Ph 7.6 -7.8

Weekly 60- 70% water changes treat with api water conditioner
Feed with NLS Thera A+

Almost all of my fish now have redness at the base of their pectoral fins. Some fish have had red streaking on the dorsal fin that has resolved. No other symptoms.

Started with one fish and over the course of about 8 weeks most fish have this on one or both fins.

I have used multiple antibiotics at this tank
Started with marcyn and Maracyn 2 in the food for 14 days, no improvement
Then treated with furan 2 and kanaplex with focus on the food for 16 days ( ran out of Furan 2, cannot find more ) and kanaplex in the water for 6 days. No improvement

No I am now treating with polyguard in the water on day 6 with no improvement.

Any suggestions or thoughts.

Pictures
Water Koi Organism Underwater Fluid
Water Vertebrate Plant Organism Fin
Vertebrate Water Fish supply Organism Fin

·
Registered
230 Posts
That looks like septicaemia, but I’m thinking you already knew that. Is it affecting all your fish or only fish who have nipped fins, or some kind of injury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like septicaemia, but I’m thinking you already knew that. Is it affecting all your fish or only fish who have nipped fins, or some kind of injury?

Yes, i believe it is septicemia and have used all the meds discussed on previous posts i have read.

It started on just one fish and has moved to all almost all of them now. last night i noticed that my big healthy Venustus tank boss has it on one fine now and he is untouched from nipping or any aggressions.

I am thinking the tank is infected, possibly gram negative bug like columaris.

·
Administrator
41,980 Posts
Columnaris has fuzzy lesions.

Try getting your nitrates down to 10ppm and keeping them under 20ppm. I do see some imperfect fins that indicate some stressful fish interactions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Columnaris has fuzzy lesions.

Try getting your nitrates down to 10ppm and keeping them under 20ppm. I do see some imperfect fins that indicate some stressful fish interactions.
I had columaris in the tank in the past, which is why i am guessing this may be the same culprit.

But yes there is some stressful interactions by way of minor nipping.
I will reduce feedings and add a second water change each week, that should reduce nitrates a bit more.
Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
It’s interesting to note that treatments for both gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections have not helped.

I’m not really sure where to go from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imo it's because poor water quality caused by high content of organics or presence of hydrogen sulfide. I had the same problem and i think it was caused by hydrogen sulfide because I was removing the sand and it was almost deep and surely undisrupted for a long time, realeasing pockets of hydrogen sulfide and a lot of organics traped in the substrate. My solution was doing water changes and keeping pristine and stable water quality. You should stop medicating, remove solid organics wastes, do water changes and add salt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imo it's because poor water quality caused by high content of organics or presence of hydrogen sulfide. I had the same problem and i think it was caused by hydrogen sulfide because I was removing the sand and it was almost deep and surely undisrupted for a long time, realeasing pockets of hydrogen sulfide and a lot of organics traped in the substrate. My solution was doing water changes and keeping pristine and stable water quality. You should stop medicating, remove solid organics wastes, do water changes and add salt.
I can give it a shot, I do have a sand bottom and the fish do what they want with it, so there are some pockets that are deep.
I have a wave maker so there is very little debris. I do have some algae growth that I have allowed purely for the natural look.
I will hit the water changes hard, level out the sand, and give the two canisters a rinse over the course of the next two weeks.
the meds are definitely not working, so I don’t see any benefit to continuing them.
I do normally keep a bit of salt in the tank.
thanks for the feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts