Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I was trying to catch one of my Auratus yesterday morning without any luck. I came to feed them later on that night and realised he had a perfect circular sore on one of his gill plates. It doesnt look like it has been an infection or or parasite, nor do I remember him crashing into anything when I was trying to net him.

I dont have any rock in my malawi tank that he could have done this on, I switched to root wood when I realised that they loved the wood more. Some wood could be seen as a bit jagged but not exactly sharp.

Im sorry I cant figure out how to attach photos. I do however have a very good photo of the gill plate in question. Can you guys and girls help me upload it and have a look for a more experienced opinion.

Regards Lee

EDIT: ok realised I could make a video of the photo and upload to youtube.com

heres the link people...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Looks like a heater burn to me. Increase the frequency of your water changes to help keep the wound clean (low nitrates needed) and it should heal on it's own with time.
Watch for any redness around the wound or white/gray fuzzy growth. If these symptoms appear, treat with an antibacterial such as Maracyn Plus or API Furan 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GTZ,

You know that was my first instinct, thought it looked like a burn but had never heard of a burns from heaters, though it had crossed my mind with it being so circular.

I did a water change that morning my normal 20/25% and another today just about 15% knowing that clean water would go a long way with the healing process. The wound has started to turn less pink if anything at all now, so what would appear to be the wound healing. No signs of white/grey growth but I will certainly keep an eye out.

How common are heater burns? and *** never come across a full heater cover unless inside a canister or like a juwel housing, are there any out there that you can think of?

Best regards Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further devlopments: It not appears to have spread to his fin on the same side. Its almost like a small abscess same white like healing colour. His fin is clamped but the first open sore is not touching the base of the fin where the secondary sore is appearing. 2 separate sores.

Regards Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.