Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else encountered people on CL who think their used 55 gal tanks are worth $200-$400 with nothing included? I can't beleive it. I can buy a brand new 55 at petsmart for $150 with hoods. Then when I try to haggle thinking they are like me and they just put a high price on it to see if they could get it. They tell me I'm wasting their time! THEY WASTED MINE! Just wondering if this happens other places than Idaho.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think that wherever you go, you will find people that think that their used goods are worth nearly retail price. I just laugh and move on.

Try Ebay. I see some of the same there, but also some that are really reasonable. Granted, you have to be fortunate enough that the seller is fairly close to you, but it's worth a look.

Several months ago, I was looking on ebay, and saw a 125 gal setup with stand and most if not all supplies for $200 to $250. And, it was in the next town north of us. I passed it up because I thought that I wanted a 72 bowfront. Now I want a 125, and I'm looking for a similar deal.

Good luck in your search.

Keep looking

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah I have experienced the same thing a few times, but luckly there are plenty of good deals and some great deals to be had if you are patient and just keep looking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a bare 55 used for $75 even $100 is a fair deal. And then I see all these 55s "COMES WITH FISH AND EXTRAS." and the fish are way to big and way overstocked. I don't want to pay for sick fish. There's like three plastic plants and an old dirty filter. I know some of them are fine and some of them are worth it, but I feel that like most things, if it's used it's not worth what you paid for it or more. I just wish people would do more research for they post on CL.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I thought it was just me. I hear about all these deals people find so started looking myself. People want full retail prices for junk. :x

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend that got me into fish got a 125 that was alittle scratched for 50 bucks custom stand and all. I can't find ANYTHING close to a deal like that.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It takes time and patience to find the bargains and most likely working will get in the way of finding the real bargains. If you have to wait till after work, it's gone if it was a bargain. The funny thing I find about Craig'slist is the guy that calls and wants to know if it will be here next day or so. How the blank would I know? I price it to sell but that doesn't mean it will.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yeah I laughed when I seen it at first. Thought it was typo till I seen the stand listed for the price of my truck!

There are deals out there you just have to keep watching for them and act on them right away. Got my Fluval 405 and Maxi Jet 1200 for $40 on CL along with my 75g tank, stand, and versa tops for $75. Took about a year to come across them though

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Rare Art Deco pieces (even broken) are worth small fortunes... you simply cannot compare a fragile 1926 bit of artwork to modern used aquarium junk :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I look on the Free section where I got my free 55 gallon tank along with the AquaClear 110 filter and 50 pounds of gravel and 48" lights for free. Did I mention 60+ convicts included in the package that I sold 30 of them to the local fish store for 5 dollars worth of credit for each?

That's the deal I look for on CL.

I don't even bother looking at the **** people want for over $50 dollars. But yeah I've seen rediculous prices for cracked aquariums and such for a few hundred dollars. Gotta love the thing they throw in there as "It's the perfect Terranium for reptiles". Then there are ones that look like they've been sitting in a mud pile for years and listed at $1200.

Here's the link to my free 55 gallon tank with fishes, filter, gravel, heater, and lights.

Only thing I bought in the tank was the Green Terror for 15 dollars in L.A.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Number6 said:
Rare Art Deco pieces (even broken) are worth small fortunes... you simply cannot compare a fragile 1926 bit of artwork to modern used aquarium junk :lol:
Lol I know but I still had a chuckle when I seen the price even though is more of an art piece. :lol:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yup, I see it all the time. I even made a post explaining to potential buyers what a reasonably priced used tank should cost. And also reminded sellers that their used tank is not a house and not to expect a full return or even 75% return on their money. The post was promptly flaged of course. :roll:

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is crazy I give super deals every time i post on craigslist, just today i found a 100 gal for 80 bucks that im picking up tomorrow.

I feel bad for you guys.. i have alot of stuff to sale i wish people would off of me.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've sold a lot of aquarium stuff on CL. Some people on there are flat out delusional with the prices they ask. I just laugh and move on. Poeple might post outrages prices but that don't mean they get what thier asking. I've had a hard time selling brand new tanks and equipment for half price.

There are some awesome deals on CL but they disappear quick. You have to be jonny on the spot to get them. I've seem posts that didn't last an hour.

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are definitely good deals to be had on CL, you just have to be patient and check the ads pretty consistently. I just picked up a 46 gallon bow, with pine stand, glass hood and a Fluval 404 filter for $100. Everything was in great condition too.

The thing with Craigslist is the good deals disappear within a few hours. So you're left with the guys who think they can recoup all the money they spent. I love the ads that say spent $4000 and its a great deal selling it for $3000. They don't think that for $3000, I can buy a brand new setup with the exact equipment that I want.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts