Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've seen threads before about this and I remember people recommending Scotch Brite Pads, but I can't find them large enough around my place. Just looking for other products or ideas people of come up with and what to avoid. Thank you!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've used Penquin 350B filters for several years. I use large capacity baskets filled with polyfil material and change about every other week.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wondered the same thing. I have a new tank I'm setting up and wondered what the best media for it might be. I think I will trash the activated carbon that comes in them and just put in polyfil. Should the baskets be readily available at my lfs?

·
Registered
162 Posts
They may have them at your LFS. I have purchased them from Petsolutions and Foster and Smith. I have at least two sizes, but prefer the larger size

·
Registered
86 Posts
Question for you Zoyvig: How much flow reduction do you see during the two week intervals between polyfil changes?

I currently use the Scotch Brite pads but like the idea of not having to clean the mechanical media if I don't have to do it too often to keep the flow-rate high.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't notice much of a flow reduction in two weeks and hardly any in a week.

We moved to a smaller house last year after living in a 5600sqft for 47 years. I only kept one 90 gal setup with approx 40 A.Labiatus, so the tank is grossly over populated. I kept my last female with a number of her last spawn. My wife refuses to let me kill them and I have given away dozens of them.

The aquarium is filtered with a Marineland magnum 350, two (2) Penquin 350B, Large sponge filter and a 13W submergible UV. I had planned to get me a 125 gallon tank and add another Magnum 350 and another Penquin 350B, but after two years of cancer surguries and treatments, I am ready to hang up my aquariums.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks, and I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and that you will have to get out of the hobby. Best of luck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts