Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just delivered some cut up peas to my 3.5 inch Jack Dempsey, 3.5 inch Firemouth and 2inch Green Terror. The Jack Dempsey went to town, the Firemouth ate leisurely, the GT seemed like he couldn't be bothered. I plan to feed peas once or twice a week (I feed twice daily). Anyone have any experience with peas, I head they are supposed to be very good for the fishs digestion.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I give my mbunas hulled peas. They like it and its funny seeing them fight over the peas too big for their mouths. My bristlenose gets the leftovers as well.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
By hulled do you mean out of the pod or out the skin on the pea itself? I have been peeling the skin off the peas since it seems like they have a hard time getting through it and them breaking it apart to eat the actual pea skin.

I always see people saying to use "frozen" peas, are canned peas ok to use? If not how come?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use frozen peas, microwave for 2 minutes, then cut in half. Them seem to enjoy them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
By hulled do you mean out of the pod or out the skin on the pea itself? I have been peeling the skin off the peas since it seems like they have a hard time getting through it and them breaking it apart to eat the actual pea skin.

I always see people saying to use "frozen" peas, are canned peas ok to use? If not how come?
By "Hulled," I mean I take some frozen peas, microwave them for ~20 seconds in some water, squeeze them with my thumb and forefinger and it will pop open releasing the two cotyledons. I then pop the shell in my mouth and continue till done. Don't see why canned peas would be any worse or better. They are however packed in brine which frozen peas are not. I would think the method with frozen peas is a lot easier.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use frozen peas now and again, usually when we are doing dinner! I take a couple out of the boiling water after a few seconds and just put them in the community tank. My fish don't have any bother getting through the skin and such!

I recently tried cucumber, and the fish go CRAZY for that...I mean full on swarm!!! A 3" x 1.5" chunk is gone in 2 days, which is a lot of cucumber :eek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I feed my tank peas frozen warmed in micro 20 sec, take the hull off and squash it all up they love it....
I also feed cucs but I take the seeds out as I've had a pleco die of a obstruction my guess from a seed.. they go crazy over them!!!! Zuc's work really well
my guys devour cuc's in a night.. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts