Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when stocking a tank with aulonacara species , most of the profiles i read say reasonably peacefull but can be aggressive to its own kind. does that mean 1 of each or more than 1 of each with plenty of hiding places//caves/rocks/territories? im starting to lean toward these fish rather than mbuna as they do seem to be more peacefull and are still beautifully coloured .

also how many total fish should i stock in a 4x2x2?

·
Registered
466 Posts
With peacocks if you plan on keeping fry, they crossbreed easily so multiple groups wouldn't be able to have fry leave your tank. The most peaceful set up would most likely be 1 male peacock with 4 female peacocks. At least thats my opinion...

Also the female peacock are not nearly as colorful if your looking to mix peacocks, unless you wanted an all male tank.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
mattawan_cichlid is right.

Do you plan on an all male tank? -If so, preferably one of each.
-Try to get aul. with different variations in color. Typically speaking, the dominant male will display the most color. Keep in mind that several sub-dominant males will color up although they may not be as vivid especially if they are the same. -Therefore, if you get peacocks with different color variations, the aggression will be lessened and they will remain colored.

Of course multiple hiding places will help as well as stocking the tank at once. -If funds are not available, it's best to stock in groups and re-arrange the rock work before introducing any new fish.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was planning an all male tank , with the idea of buying say 3 of each species , growing them out until they can be sexed and then thinning out. how many peacocks in a 4x2x2?

funds arent a problem , i can fully stock straight away also i know mixing lakes shouldnt strictly be done as a rule but i absolutely love Pundamilia Nyerere (Mkobe Island) could i risk 1 of these in with peacock

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Plan on somewhere around 15 fish depending on how big/aggressive you go. I have twelve young adults and it seems about right so far. I don't know how you can find 15 peacocks that look nothing alike however...what about mixing in small haps?

Pundamilia are quite aggressive. I have researched them for my own tanks with the original idea of having a male in a hap/peacock tank.

I was advised in the Vic forum by several of the knowledgeable members that the Pundamilia are more compatible with the most aggressive of mbuna. So my plan changed and now I'm trying to source them for my mbuna tank as a tankmate for the demasoni.

The problem with buying three peacocks of each species and growing them out until you can sex them is then what would you do with the females? Aulonocara females look alike and once mixed, you would not be able to ID the separate species for resale. You would almost be forced to keep a mixed female peacock tank for 8 years or euthanize. :(

If funds are not a problem, buy sexed adult males. The Victorian Astatotilapia latifasciata is a good fit for a hap/peacock tank.

Some of the other Victorians that I am interested in (Ruby Green, Christmas Fulu, Kyoga Flameback) will only color up in the presence of their own females and are a little on the timid side so a species only tank may bring out the best colors for the male.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I strongly recommend that you NOT go with your thought of buying three of a species and then determining gender later -- for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, trying to catch females in a rock-laden tank is very, very difficult. Secondly, all females look pretty much the same. If you've got mixed species females in a tank, you cannot rehome them easily because you won't know what they are. It's much, much easier to get immature males that are not fully colored up, but have enough color that a professional breeder can identify them as male. There are quite a few reputable peacock breeders that I'd recommend via PM, if you like. I'd probably stock in two batches, unless you can get your bacterial colony to a level that you can introduce all at once. That is ideal. I'd probably start with 12 to begin and see how that plays out.

Once you do introduce your fish, you'll need to watch closely to monitor aggressiveness. Any peacocks that don't play nice will have to be removed. You can easily find enough male peacocks and small haps that don't look similar with the help (again) of a reputable breeder.

And while there are a few mbuna that can exist in a peacock/hap tank, I personally don't lke the look. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
DJRansome said:
The problem with buying three peacocks of each species and growing them out until you can sex them is then what would you do with the females? Aulonocara females look alike and once mixed, you would not be able to ID the separate species for resale. You would almost be forced to keep a mixed female peacock tank for 8 years or euthanize. :(
I'm in this exact position now. I bought two of each species I wanted a year ago, now that it is time to start thinning out the herd, I have a handful of females and I can't tell what is what. Some species I didn't end up with a male at all, some, both were males. If I don't keep the females, they will probably end up in a mixed tank at the LFS, but I'm always hard pressed to let go of my fish so we'll see what happens.

Regarding mixing lakes, I have a Fire Uganda in my Peacock/Hap tank and he is doing great. He has better colors now than he did when he was alone with his woman. Adds a nice touch of red, too. Just an example of a Vic with Peacocks/Haps.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would strongly agree with hollyfish2000's reply. Find some breeders in your area and purchase known juvie males thats starting to color if you want to go all male. Starting from very small unsexed peacocks will give you too many unwanted females and similar males. You want 1 of each species that do not look alike.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
DJRansome said:

If funds are not a problem, buy sexed adult males. The Victorian Astatotilapia latifasciata is a good fit for a hap/peacock tank.
Ditto :thumb:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I too ran into the same issue as Hollyfish when I first started. Luckily I found a solution.... sort of. I keep the unknoiwn females in my show tank originally hoping they would be hosts for my Synodontis Multis. I have 6 Different species adult males in there as well. The males all show great color because the females are in there but the females aren't harassed at all because of all the activity from the Yellow Labs and Demasoni the peacocks don't breed. The labs and dems do and act as host all the time.

If it were just a peacock/hap tank or peacock only I am sure the females would be harassed to death. This has worked for almost 3 years now and the peacocks and haps receive no harassment from the mbuna. Other than the Demasoni nothing gets chased or stressed and all my peacock males are awesome.

Aside from that, don't do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts