Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard by many people that the peacefull demeanor of the peacock and the agressive fast moving Mbuna wont get along. Although the combination of the 2 types of fish creat a beautiful tank. What are the possibilities of it working and what is the minimum size tank?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
To make it work, I'd recommend peacocks at least as big as the mbuna and you need mbuna that aren't excessively aggressive.

I've raised my peacocks with my mbuna - without problems in the aggression area. My mbuna have been more into themselves rather than bug the peacocks.

As for making sure the peacocks get their fill of food - I feed all over the tank and I feed a bit heavy.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
you could also pick out some of the less aggressive mbuna like rusties, acei, yellow labs, and sometimes socolif. or go with the tougher peacocks from the jacobfreibergi group. *** kept all of the mbuna above with peacocks and haps without a problem, except for when i have an albino eureka red peacock, i lost 2 of those after being picked on by my acei which was only half the peacocks size.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have had bad experiences mixing peacocks with Mbuna and always end up with the peacocks suddenly disappearing... I won't personally try it again!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all of the peacocks i just got are atleast double the size of my mbuna. All are in an 85g. I hope in the next 2 years to transfer them all to my future 360g which i assume all will be well in there. So far just minor issues but that is common when adding any fish.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have had good success with A. lwanda and A. jacobfreibergi in 6' tanks with mbuna no more agressive than Cynotilapia afra and Metriaclima estherae (along with yellow labs, mainganos, lab mbambas, and acei). Good colour and breeding from the peacocks. I've kept my lwandas this way for a few years now.

Bottom line, to make it work you need 1) the more robust peacock species (lwandas or freibergis) 2) nothing too high on the agression scale as far as mbuna go, and 3) a large enough tank, like 6'. (I've also kept lwandas with just yellow labs in a 4' tank without problems.) Even these peacocks need to be at least as big as the mbuna, preferably a bit bigger, and should be introduced into the tank first. You can add them to the tank after the mbuna, but special measures need to be taken to make the introduction work.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
The main problem is that the Peacocks will feel intimidated and males will show little color. Once colorful males can get drab and skinny from the stress of being in a Mbuna tank.

It depends on the set up of course, there are many variables. Mellower Mbuna make it easier, and maybe not having a majority of Mbuna but more of a mix.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My own personal experience mixing Peacocks with Mbunas has been good. I haven't noticed anything unusual. The "sparring' from time to time between cichlids is Not unusual. They all seem to get along well for me. 8) Others may noy have faired so well.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have found that having open sandy areas seperate from rocky reef type areas keep the Mbuna and the peacocks in different regions of the tank you will be able to do this in a 360g very easily :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts