Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got this fish and 2 days after introducing him to the tank, he started to show the fungus so I have been keeping him in a 5 gallon hospital tank that I keep a very close eye on. I treated my big tank with Lifeguard and the 5 gallon with a cichlid specific anti-fungal because the description of the treatable conditions matched the best. I have had no other fish contract anything and I'm hoping this one will be able to pull thru! I have a few pictures to show the current condition now. I will reply to my post with more information like PH and habits in the tank. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I can not figure out how to put a picture on here :? If you really need to see the fungus, leave me your email and I will just email them. Thx.

I keep a daily log for my hospital tanks; I always have so I can see what is changing. My PH has been 7.8-7.9 over the last 4 days. My Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates have all been 0. I keep my temp at 79 +/- 1. I did about a 30-50% water change 4 days after the first dose of medication (which was a dissolving/fizzing tablet) and introduced a second dose. I also use cichlid sand to help buffer my PH and I use aquarium salt at about a teaspoon or less per 5 gallons. There has been no healing of the sight and the fungus is just getting longer and thicker. His eating habits have slowed a little and he is not very active, but he has good gill movement. He does twitch every minute or so too, like he's trying to shack it off.

Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Please look up columnaris, if that's what it is, you need to keep a very close eye on your main tank.

Sorry about the fishy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was not columnar. The description was not similar to what the fish had. I have pictures to send you via email because I can not figure out how to send/post them on here :oops:

I had to take the fish back and return it to the pet store and luckily, they had just gotten in new ones and I picked out an even more beautiful one... though I still feel bad about losing my guy I fought so hard for.

I would appreciate it if you would take a look at my pics and help me diagnose it. Like I said, I treated my main tank and have had no sign of unhealthy fish, but I don't want to have a crazy breakout and lose all of my fishes. I have prepared a quarantine tank for the new guy and he is doing very well so if you think there is more I need to do to my main tank before I introduce the new guy, I would like to know. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Upload your pictures here then copy and paste the 'Message Board' link here in your reply.
Your reply should look similar to this for each picture:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aef5S.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
554 Posts
any news?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts