Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum, I am setting up an aquarium in the waiting room of our office and I only want to do his once. Going to go with peacock cichlids 25-30 in a 110 tall tank with a 37 gallon tank set up as a sump.

I have a similar setup at home and am running k1 for my primary filtration, I love it as it is very low maintenance and so that's the route I'm going with is second tank. What I am having trouble finding is some idea either what a fully grown adult peacock cichlids will weigh(average/ballpark) or what I should expect that one will eat in terms of amount of food. At this point the way I have the sump drawn up the k1 should be able to sustain about 40-45 grams of food (based on 2.5grams per liter of k1 and a 60% k1 to water ratio)

I am assuming this will be more than enough but can't find any info to confirm or deny this and I as I said before I am only going to do his once. Let me know your thoughts, appreciate the help.

Nick

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 110G tank?

I will assume you are planning an all male tank and will be buying sexed males?

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
That is a lot of fish for all-male in a 48" tank IME. You say you have the same set up at home?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same setup, different fish. That number is what was recommended by the place I was looking to get the fish so I am also open to thoughts on that as well. Seemed reasonable as I knew they should be a bit overstocked. He said he had 25 in a 75 gallon tank. New to these fish so open to learning.

Have been doing more reading and I found a couple other sites that said the k1 will handle 5 grams of food per liter which would put me up to 90 grams of food. That's half of a big bottle of pellets, can't imagine doing that so based on that info I would surely be fine. Even if I'm somewhere I. The middle I would think I should be good. That being said anyone with some knowledge that may help please chime in

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
IDK anything about K1 but I like 12 individuals for all-male in a 48" tank. Further I stock fish that mature <= six inches in a 48" tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you know a ballpark one what a mature male might weigh or how much food it eats? that's really what i was looking for.

thx

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
No I don't but you could try a PM to BC in SK because he weighs all his fish annually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts