Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...my try at an all male tank is making me crazy. I sourced from too many people and ended up with a diseased tank. Got everything sorted out and finishing treating for Ick, but I only have 11 males left. They are bickering like crazy. I like Peacocks and have kept the occasional male in with mbuna or Frotosa in the past, but never have I had a breedng group of Peacocks.

So, I am gong to try and get a few dollars back out of the $475 I spent, sell 10 of the 11 male fish and am thinking of just doing a single species Peacock tank. I have a Beautiful Sunshine male that I hate to rehome. I can source some med Sunshines at a good price. If I put ..say 20 fish in the 5 ft 120 gallon, how many males might I expect to color up..or is this just another exercize in Futility.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sorry about the all-male tank.

With that many fish in a tank that size, I could see 3, maybe 4 males coloring up.

If it were me, I'd do 3 different species groups in that tank. Maybe the peacocks, an Otopharynx (tetraspilus, tetrastigma, heterodon or lithobates - all would work well) and possibly a blue-type placidochromis or a smaller Copadichromis/Nyassochromis for the upper water column.

Groups of 2M/5-6F of each would be a really entertaining and not-too-aggressive tank. Little chance of interbreeding as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with that combination as well I also am doing the same thing with the 3-4 grouping I have the peacocks but I hace 4 males/7females now waitting for them to color up more to see who will be the best looking male from a group of O.B.peacocks, got the Copadichromis Borleyi 2m/6f, and the Sciaenochromis Ahli 1m5f 1m/2f electric yellow labs, and 1m2f Rusty

G

·
you need more fish... i have a 6ft 125 with all male peacocks from juvies to full grown around 40 and theres very little aggression... ahli's are real aggressive mine was a jerk so i got rid of him

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would do more than 1 species. If you do multiple species you will have more coloured up fish.
Also like m1ke715m stated, you need to overstock to curb aggression, they say it works with mbuna, well its working in my peacock/hap tank.

Also, buy your fish as juvi's i live away from the city in Canada so its more expensive and i pay $1-5 per fish (usually peacocks or haps) however i no longer buy from pet stores, they are a rip off. Find your local wholesaler, im sure they can hook you up if you pay in cash.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So.. Round two. I'm keeping what I have. Current Stock List.....3 Syno Multi, Ruby Red Peacock, Sunshine Peacock, Crystal Red Peacock, OB Peacock, Unknown origin Peacock, Red fin Borleyi, Met. Greshakei , Crytocara Moori, Pund Crimson Tide, Zebra Obliquedens, Yellow Lab. I have 7 male fish to add today when UPS comes.(another $200, hopefully not down the drain) all male 3-5" ....Acei, Rusty, Protemelas Marginatus, Cop. Mloto, Taiwan Reef, Lithobates Red Blaze, and electra Deep Water. This will give me 18 fish. I will probably have to rehome some in the future, but hopefuly, they will sort out their pecking order, and behave!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.