Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be recieving my peacock order later today. I'm really excited been wanting to switch to peacocks for a while now and finally made the switch. I ordered an assortment package of 25 juvies from a sponser on CF. I spoke with the sponsor and he informed me that i will be recieving 9 different species of peacocks and two extra fish. My intentions are to have an all male tank at some point. I will update my post when i recieve my order.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know you must be excited to be getting new fish, but if these are coming as unsexed juveniles, how will you get rid of extra females? Most peacock females are drab and difficult to tell apart, so if you try to sell them, it will be difficult at best to positively ID them once they are all together. That's why a lot of folks doing an all male tank either buy young, positive males, or use several tanks to grow out each species, separate the males, and sell extra females.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Yes, don't sell the females in this scenario.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will not be selling any of the female peacocks i recieve in this order.I plan on setting up a 125 gallon in the next several months. When the males begin to color up i will transfer them to the 125. I plan on keeping all these fish, I see enough hybrids at my local fish store and i dont want to add to the problem. Thanks for the input and advice everyone.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bruinman said:
I will not be selling any of the female peacocks i recieve in this order.I plan on setting up a 125 gallon in the next several months. When the males begin to color up i will transfer them to the 125. I plan on keeping all these fish, I see enough hybrids at my local fish store and i dont want to add to the problem. Thanks for the input and advice everyone.
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sounds good! As an additional thought, if they come bagged by species, maybe you can keep one group in a species tank to get the full effect of their breeding habits, and be able to sell or trade some of the offspring.

·
Registered
363 Posts
DrgRcr said:
Sounds good! As an additional thought, if they come bagged by species, maybe you can keep one group in a species tank to get the full effect of their breeding habits, and be able to sell or trade some of the offspring.
Good idea. They'll be good in a 20L for a while while growing out and depending on the species, a 30L long term. You're bound to have extra males anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fish just arrived and have been added to the tank and everyone is doing well. Boy these guys are small but a few already have color to be so small. I will try to get some picks up soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally have some pics of my new peacocks. I was really surprised to se some with color as small as they are. I didnt get a list from the supplier of the fish in the assortment package. i guess i should have requested a list. Here are the pics they are not the best but the best i could get.
/bruinman1/019.jpg[/IMG]ruinman1/011.jpg[/IMG][/img]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts