Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just want to let you all know i am new to the hobby and i need some help With the ID of some of my fishes. I picked up some Peacocks at My LFS today right out of the mixed peacock tank and basically the fish store owner has no idea what the name of the peacock are, he keep telling me red peacock and yellow peacock. What i need from you guys is to if you can ID my peacocks and if you can tell if they are hybrids or not.

I suppose this one is called the Aulonocara baenschi

These two are different in coloration, i suppose Aulonocara Rubescens (Ruby Red Peacock)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The first one is obviously a yellow peacock, but to determine whether it is a baenschi, or a Maleri or a hybrid is pretty much impossible at this point.

The others are Ruby Red or German Red, a man made peacock that doesn't have a scientific name.

These fish may have been hormoned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
The first one is obviously a yellow peacock, but to determine whether it is a baenschi, or a Maleri or a hybrid is pretty much impossible at this point.

The others are Ruby Red or German Red, a man made peacock that doesn't have a scientific name.

These fish may have been hormoned.
Thank you very much, i appreciate your help.
You are right about the hormone, unfortunately i figured it out after i purchased the fishes. man i thought i got a good deal, but now i feel totally screwed.

·
Banned
406 Posts
That tiny one sure has a lot of red to be so small / young. Hope hes not hormoned. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts