Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering moving my 55 to another location with the addition of my 125g and just keep the regular mbuna in the 55. Then move my 1 peacock and 2 haps to this new 125g.

I currently have 1 Dragon Blood, 1 Red Empress and 1 Taiwan Reef what else would you guys add to this tank if you were the one setting it up?

I'm considering some Ruby Reds, Electric Blues, Ngara red flametail, Sunshines, lwanda

oh also, how many of each would you add? I would really like to stick to an all Male tank, even if the colors will hurt a little bit. I dont want to deal with the fry.

I'm new to the Hap,Peacock setup so i'm assuming these can all be mixed. I'm trying to think of what would offset each other.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
All Male - you get one of each. The males have all the color so you get - well, all the color.

Every male should look as different as possible from the others.

Best odds are when you get the males big enough to sex but not adult and add 3+ at a time.

Some individuals won't work because they are too aggressive or passive so you always need at least a 10 gallon ready to set up for hospital/re-homing if need be.

For Peacocks to add that would look different:
Sunshine, Blue Neon, or Flavescent
Lwanda
Ngara
Red Shoulder or Bi-Color

For your haps I would stick with the following genera

Copadichromis, Cyrtocara, bigger Lethrinops, Otopharynx, Placidochromis, Protomelas, Sciaenochromis, Tramitichromis

and stay away from the larger predators for your peacocks to be happiest.

You will find you get what you can buy together sometimes more than the exact fish you want because, odds are, your favorite fish is the one that goes hyper-aggressive and needs to be moved :wink:.

Flexibility is needed when going all male. 3 peacocks that are pretty close looking may get along fine but your Ngara and Lwanda simply hate each other. Just part of the fun of all-male.

Ask away on additional questions.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 135 male hap/peacock tank. One thing that seems to work for me that helps minimize aggression is to have the biggest fish in the tank be species that are known to be peaceful.

My two biggest fish are a Protomelas sp. spilonotatus "Tanzania" and a Copadichromis borleyi. The next size down from these two are some more rowdy fish - a Taiwan reef, a Red Emp, a Moori. It seems like the "Tier 2" rowdies behave better when in the vicinity of one of the two gentle giants.

I would note that this also worked for me in my previous hap tank, although the two gentle giants in that tank were unusually peaceful specimens of Red Emp and Moori.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts