Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
I recently got a peacock cichlid and two days later his left eye has a grey covering of it. Could this be an illness? Possibly was in a fight? Not sure. His attitude is slow and hiding. Eating somewhat.
Hi!!馃槂
The poor little baby... I'm sorry but all you can possibly do is like wait it out; you know? I know that's a bummer. You could add in a little aquarium salt because this helps with most anything; okay?

Administrator
He could have been in a fight or just bumped into a rock. What are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stocklist?

Keep the nitrates in your tank very low (under 20ppm) to aid healing and remove him if anyone is harassing him.

Registered
Happened to one of my fish recently. His big tank mates got startled and he got shoved into the rocks. Like mentioned above, salt & low nitrates鈥..he is good now but sadly his eye will not recover.

Administrator
I would make sure none of the peacocks are female and none of the males look alike (one blue, one yellow, one red/orange/pink) and add six male haps (no look alikes) that mature at six inches or less to manage aggression.

Registered
Did you rearrange all the rocks right before you added him to the tank? Doing this protects new additions as it prevents them from being attacked by every current resident for swimming into what they consider their territory. Rearrange all the rocks and ensure to break up the sight line for the fish in the tank.

He looks like he got badly beaten up after you added him to your 125G.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happened to one of my fish recently. His big tank mates got startled and he got shoved into the rocks. Like mentioned above, salt & low nitrates鈥..he is good now but sadly his eye will not recover.
Might be the same. One of the decor rocks is on its side. Unless they dug around it. Not sure. He鈥檚 the biggest of the group too maybe 4鈥.

Administrator
All rocks should sit on the glass with the substrate on top. Jiggle them down into the substrate (an an established tank) until there is no sand underneath to be dug by the fish.

Reactions: Sean144
1 - 10 of 10 Posts