Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am new to this site and new to Cichlids. I have kept, and still do keep, Tetras, Mollies, Guppies, and Swordtails. In the near future I am going to get a 20 gallon long. :) I am going to have Peacock Cichlids in it. A couple of questions first! :)

1. How many peacock can i have in there?
2. What is the best and quiet HOB filter for a 50 gallon? (The 50g filter will be for the 20g, Extra filtering is important!)
3. What is a good heater?
4.What plants will go good with the peacocks?
5. Since I have a higher GPH and gallon filter would I have room for some Tetras?
6. What is a good food for the Cichlids?

·
Registered
625 Posts
1. At most, a 1m2f trio of one species of peacock. Perhaps look into a 55 gallon, that's really the smallest you should go.

2. Whisper 60 or a Pengiun 350. If you went with a 55 instead, a canister filter would be a good addition to the HoB.

3. Anything in the ball park of 3-5w per gallon. They all do a decent job for the most part.

4. Anubias or Java Fern. Others can work but I've read on here these do well.

5. Probably not, and they could probably be eaten.

6. NLS or Omega 1.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Aulonocara_Freak said:
I can't go with anything bigger than a 20g long! I really want a 40g but that's how life goes. :) On this article http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articl...uoting" it. How did you do that magic trick?

·
Registered
142 Posts
What is going on here? I quoted your post as it was blank, then it posted a blank post for me. That is strange.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah I don't know what's going on. All I see is blank for your first post and his/her response to me.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There most be a bug! :(

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Help! Help! Mr/MRs. Mod! LOL! :)
I am going to try to post the response again! :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On this article http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_20g.php that it is possible to have Julidochromis regani - 1 pair, Neolamprologus leleupi - 1 pair, and 'Lamprologus' occelatus - 1 trio with one of these filters, Emperor 280, AquaClear 200, Penguin 170, or Eheim Liberty 150 or 200. I calculated the total inch per fish and it's about 22 inches. So I was thinking that if it's 22 inches per fish y can't i have 2 pair's of peacock and maybe if I could 4 tetras. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
The problem is the environment those fish live in compared to peacocks. Small tanganikian cichlids don't require a whole lot of room because they stay small and usually stay in smaller territories.

Peacocks just get bigger. You want to stock a tank with fish that can happily live their entire life in the tank you keep them in. Peacocks like to swim and if you confine them to a 30x12 tank they won't be as happy as they could with a 48x13 or larger.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, tell me if i misunderstood u, the only problem would be that a 20g long for 2m and 2f peacock cichlids is that they are to active for it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The one inch per gallon rule does not apply to cichlids, and in reality it is a bad idea to use it for all types of fish. There are many factors involved in determining tank size for the group of fish you want to keep such as adult size, behavior, aggression level, feeding habits, as well as possible tankmates.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shellies215 said:
The one inch per gallon rule does not apply to cichlids, and in reality it is a bad idea to use it for all types of fish. There are many factors involved in determining tank size for the group of fish you want to keep such as adult size, behavior, aggression level, feeding habits, as well as possible tankmates.
That understandable! :)

So what peacocks stay 5~ inches and how many can i have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
get a bigger tank. you'll be much happier with a 55. or rethink your stocking. maybe some Tanganyikan shellies would be quite happy in a 20L.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
samorama said:
get a bigger tank. you'll be much happier with a 55. or rethink your stocking. maybe some Tanganyikan shellies would be quite happy in a 20L.
I can only get basic cichlids and can't order online!
The largest i can go is 20g :(

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DanniGirl said:
You can possibly go for a dwarf species of an aulonocara such as the Maylandi or the Kandeense.
Like I said I can only get basic cichlids and can't order online! :(

1 - 20 of 72 Posts