Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. About 2 months ago I bought a 125 gallon tank :) and I was wondering what I should get. I ended up being talked into getting Peacock Cichlids, and upon further research I decided they were really cool. I got 7 assorted Peacocks, and when I brought them home they were swimming around and exploring the tank. The next day, when I went to go check on them, they were all in caves not moving, just sitting there. I had thought it would just take them a while to get use to the tank, but only the same two eat (only when the food falls right in front of them) and the rest of them sit in caves. One died and it has been over 3 weeks. The two that sometimes eat always go back in their caves when I approach the tank. I think they might be eating the plants I put in the aquarium because one with small leaves has lost all the leaves on the side facing the caves. I have tested the water several times, and it is good. Is this normal behavior for juveniles? I know the food is fine because they were eating the first day like crazy. Is it normal?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
No, normally peacocks eat like pigs always. They are carnivores, so although mine eat plants too (boo) they still gobble their pellets. So the search begins for symptoms of illness other than not eating and hiding.

First, please post the test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. How did you cycle the tank? When was your last water change/gravel vacuum and how much did you change?

What dechlor do you use?

·
Registered
869 Posts
It would be kind of cool... if you could post pics of your fishes... or even a video would be better...

It almost seems like what you have are Mbunas... and NOT peacocks...

Pics or Videos would be nice..

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I am wondering if the tank has been cycled.

kevin

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
ridley25 said:
I am wondering if the tank has been cycled.

kevin
If not then yep sounds like classic ammionia or nitrite poisoning from their own urine (new tank syndrome as it used to be called).

Only thing that does not fit is if the test kits are reading 0 for ammonia and nitrite but then you always get these in newly stocked uncycled tanks whatever the test kit says.

All the best James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for all the tips, but I think I found the problem. They are scared of me! They hear me coming down stairs and they all run and hide. I know this because last night I was playing on the ps3, and they were all hiding as usual. After about an hour I look over and see them swimming around and chasing each other. I jumped up in excitement and ran over to the tank, but by the time I got there they were all in caves again. I have never had a problem like this so any advise is helpful.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Healthy fish will swarm the surface when you approach the tank, anxious for food.

If you are sure they are eating and not sick, then you might try adding fish. 7 peacocks in a 125G is not enough stock for the fish to feel safe in numbers and they may be hiding as a result.

G

·
my fish go crazzzzzzzzzzzy when i approach the tank and you should probably have like 35 fish in the tank.. dont add them all at once thou cuz your water levels will spike. they will stress out and die.. i usually add like 3 or 4 wait 4 days add a few more... and so on... there is a school of thought on crowding africans as to cut down on the aggression they show to individuals basically spreading out the aggression so 1 of them doesnt get bullied too much... jus gota watch your nitrates after the tank cycles as this will tell you when you have too many fish.. also when you crowd them its wise to only feed once a day...

G

·
the solution is to always buy more when they die lol... sometimes fish stress out and die.. even when everything is good... i would def do a 6 test strip on it thou cuz it does sound like they are stressed for no reason...

·
Registered
21 Posts
m1ke715m said:
the solution is to always buy more when they die lol...
Thats funny ^^^^

Hey bro if your not seeing results in a few days, just to be certain, I would take about 8oz of your tank water to you LPS. See what they say. Most LPS will test it for free. Since you never got around to posting your #'s on here, it's kinda hard to pin-point your problem? What temperature do you keep your tank?? If it's too cold they won't move around too much either. You definitely need to add more fish to the bedroom pond ya have set-up. Like Mike715 said, you have to add in moderation. Make sure you have enough filtration on that bad boy. Best of luck! :popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
You could put them in a smaller tank. They would probably be comfortable in a 55G with just 7 fish.

G

·
yea i have almost 50 africans in my 125 gallon tank... im getting rid of all my Mbunas keeping about 23 haps, peacocks and lethrinops.. and i have like 30 eureka red peacock fry that im putting in there soon as they are big enough...def not keeping all of them will be lookin to unload some soon as they big enough..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.