Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been reading out of interest for peacock cichlids because I am looking to get into the hobby.
Species I admire visually are: Aulonocara Baenschi, Aulonocara Hansbaenschi, Aulonocara Rubescens, Aulonocara Maylandi.

Could I put all of them together?
What I mean is I want 4 males and 12 females of each in 1 tank like a 360 gallon aquarium.

In detail:
Aulonocara Baenschi: 4 males and 12 females.
Aulonocara Hansbaenschi: 4 males and 12 females.
Aulonocara Rubescens: 4 males and 12 females.
Aulonocara Maylandi: 4 males and 12 females.
For a total of 64 Peacock Cichlids.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is a recipe for a massive interspecific hybridization experiment. You may know what species you're putting into that tank, but you will never know what you're getting out, and any such fry should never be allowed to leave your fish room. :(

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Agree I would do only one peacock species in a mixed gender tank? How long is the tank?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sir_keith said:
This is a recipe for a massive interspecific hybridization experiment. You may know what species you're putting into that tank, but you will never know what you're getting out, and any such fry should never be allowed to leave your fish room. :(
I see, I promise not to let them leave my fish room.
So its doable but results in hybridization? like the aggression is spread out because of many females and males crammed together?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Peacocks will crossbreed regardless of stocking and tank size if they are in the same tank. You would not be able to let any peacock, adult or fry, leave your fish room once you have mixed them. Even if there were no fry, you would not be able to tell the females apart and males not fully colored (due to maturity or dominance) can look like females.

I would probably do 3m:9f of each species and the Maylandi males may not color well.

You would be better off with 4 75G tanks that measure 48x18, one for each species.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts