Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got her (assuming the colors or lack there of) cheap from a LFS going out of business and couldnt resist the price.
The LFS owner said they were assorted peacocks and im not sure what she is......possibly a hybrid?
She has a small streak of yellow going up her head.

Also notice the black stripe going down the side

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
102 Posts
i would guess its a young red empress (protomelas spilonotus) male with the coloring on the head and the spots on the anal fin. could be a female, but definately a red empress

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Might just be a Protomelas spilonotus Mara Rocks.
The best you can guess so far. Hard to tell if pure. A "Hap"

Not an Aulonocara "Peacock". Not a "Red Empress", the body and head is different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fogelhund said:
Looks like it....so will it color up? Looking at some pics the females dont have the yellow on the head. Its only about 3 inches.
This would be my best guess looking at the pics although the head is slightly longer.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Based on just physical characteristics I'd guess it's a young male but, making that assumptions can occasionally make us ass's. Looking at the anal fins shape and slight coloring and the egg spots I'm inclined to think it's a male, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Male yep yet to get colours if all three photos are the same. Guess hybrid "Malawi Hap" as I dunno any that look like that.
But I could well be wrong.
The hobby vertion of red empress or Protomelas spilonotus like, as good a guess as any I think.
I do hope he turns out nice for you but then you know thats pretty unlikely?
Bargains tend to be for folk who care not about what they end up with?

All the best James

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Just a note, I don't believe this to be a Red Empress, but they are Protomelas taeniolatus, not spilonotus.
I know that just not sure which if iether the posted guy is. :wink: Maybe a cross of the two?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
24Tropheus said:
Fogelhund said:
Just a note, I don't believe this to be a Red Empress, but they are Protomelas taeniolatus, not spilonotus.
I know that just not sure which if iether the posted guy is. :wink: Maybe a cross of the two?
Yes, possibly a cross of the two.....hes been in the tank for about a week now so hes getting a little more yellow on the head. I do hope even if he is a hybrid he has some nice color in the long run!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Fogelhund said:
I'm curious why you think it might be this fish. I have one (my avatar) and bought it as an adult so I have no idea what it would like at the stage of the fish in question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.