Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im wondering if *** got my set up right for breeding (i know fish ratio isnt the best) *** a 62 uk gallon (75 us gallon) tank filtered well, plenty of surface current and live plants (elodea densa) coral sand plenty of caves and hiding spots with plenty of room for longer swims up top, *** a fish ratio of 1 (big 4-5") male and 3 (small 2-3-half") males with 3 females all over 3-half "s biggest would be 5-6"the temp is kept at around 24-25 degrees celsius (75-77 fahrenheit) waters always clear, clean and oxygenated, what signs should i be looking for in breeding, does this set up sound and look right and can anyone id this big male for me please and thanks in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
They are what is known as a Dragon Blood, Strawberry, white faced ones are sometimes called Fire Face. They are a hybrid. You're right, 4 males to 3 females will likely lead to a couple males being killed. I would trade 3 of the males in for females if you want to breed them. Two look alike fully grown males will likely not tolerate each other. They'll breed like rabbits! Lol! Just make sure you have plenty of females, to few and they will be chased to death also. I like 78 degrees. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info and quick reply i will tend to this at once and *** a spare tank at the ready just incase anyhow :)

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Signs for breeding. Two fish will swim in a circle. Unfortunately this is done for aggression as well as spawning. When it is spawning the female will lay an egg on one circle and pick it up in her mouth on the next circle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply, Ok i see, *** read something about them courting or swimming up top of tank passing each other 7 times before diving to sand to make a bed for eggs and to be fertilized, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
:lol: Never heard of or observed that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could ve wrong or about diffferebt type of fish but im near sure it was about peacock cichlids lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.