Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about clearing out most of my 90 gallon and adding a jacobfriebergi "otter point" breeding group (5M/4F).

My current stock lists would require that I keep at least one group of Mbuna in there with the peacocks - unless of course I sell a Mbuna group. The best candidate I have is a group of 6 Melanochromis labrosus. If you're not familiar with this species, they are nothing like any of the other Melanochromis species and probably ought to be in a genus of their own. They are extremely peaceful and somewhat shy.

My question is how do you think these two species would jive in this 90 gallon tank? The tank is VERY heavily stacked with rocks, so the labrosus would have plenty of hiding places. My main concern is that I get the peacocks to breed.

labrosus:

otter point:

The tank: (red zebras and acei would be relocated)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
They might. The lwandas in my 150 have mainly fairly mild mbuna for tank mates, and are breeding all the time. A 90 is not a 150, but with one of the jacobfreibergi species and some fairly mild mbuna it might work... The introduction to an already stocked mbuna tank can be tricky though. For best chances remove a number of the mbuna you plan to keep, for a week or so, then add them back at the same time as the jacobfreibergis (the latter are already full grown, yes?) - assuming you have a large enough second tank to temporarily re-house them in of course...

I don't think of 5M/4F as a breeding group though... 1M/4F yes. Multiple males spells trouble ime. Are they an existing 'breeding group' in someone else's tank? If so, how large is that tank?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
5M/4F :?
2M/7F would be a much more comfortable tank. Them subdominant males will get smashed and look like females anyway. In a species only tank only 1 male peacock will fully display and a second will only mildly display the rest will look drab.
For the mbuna.....I would add something with a bit of colour like one of the Acei species, a little larger the their peacock conterparts.
I would start the stock list from scratched so the peacocks don't get bullied when you add them.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably just going to skip the peacocks. This is a display tank and it's just not worht it to me to have just one fully colored male and a bunch of drab females / sub-dom. males. I now have this tank down to just (4) labrosus and (4) Ps. sp. "Blue Dolphin" (giant demasoni). I'm not really sure what to do now. Maybe Tanganyikan? I dunno. :-?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm not sure i understand your dilema. Do you want to start the tank over or add to the stock you have?
Cute baby by the way :) . It's nice being parent :thumb:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure i understand your dilema.
I'm not sure I do either. :lol:

It all started with me feeling ambitious one afternoon at which point I started to rethink my stock lists. My plan was to start something new in my 90 gallon wave front tank. It was a Mbuna tank, and frankly, I'm getting a little bored with Mbuna and that tank (because of its shape, if nothing else), has a lot of potential. Now I've got my 150 loaded to the gills (no pun intended), my 55 pretty well filled up, and nothing in the 90 but a group of (4) Ps. sp. "Blue Dolphin" (giant demasoni) and (4) M. labrosus (not 6-7 like previously stated.)

Now I've got all kinds of ideas rolling around in my head, but I'm thinking about something different than another Malawi tank. (I've got my 150 for that). I'm leaning towards "wet pet" at this point. Maybe a pair of female oscars, or some kind of larger CA cichlid (in the case of the latter, maybe some tank mates too.) Either way, the remaining two groups of Mbuna will have to be re-homed.

If anybody has the time to consider my situation and maybe offer some options, I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to start another thread to see what people think about the feasibility of adding the giant demasoni and labrosus to the already packed 150.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ok, got ya :) , You don't no what to do with your 90g.

You no what, i have just been looking through some of the tang species, tanks, discussion's and it's even got me thinking about my next move. I'm very happy with the way my tanks are now but everybody needs a change every now and then right.

The Alto's have got me very curious. I love the compressecep's and calvis'. Maybe you should check it out and see what you think. From what i'v been reading the experience is completely different as the tangs behaviour is nothing like malawian :idea:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts