Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a mixed 55g African Cichlid Tank in which I have 12 mbunas (below 2inches) and 5 peacocks (above 3 inches). I have lots of rocks and caves so everyone are doing fine. I have introduced one more peacock cichlid in my tank and just after one day, one of my Peacock has started chasing the new one and made him his target. The new one looks in stress and remain on the corner of the tank, although physically he looks fine with no damage to his fins or body. Please help, attaching the pics of the 2 peacocks cichlids - The one in Yellow is like the alpha of the tank who is chasing my new one which has the blue color.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Welcome to C-F

What you are experiencing is typical behavior for Malawian fish. The 2 fish pictured are both hybrids that were engineered in a lab, of sorts. They are not true Aulonocara, and notorious for being aggressive. Probably a good fit with your mbuna(depending on species).

When adding a lone fish to existing fish, you most definitely will have issues. All attention will be directed towards the newcomer. This goes for species with a reputation for being timid, as well. Not just aggressive species.

Not many options for you.
Return the OB
Give the aggressor a 'timeout' (often does not work)
Rearrange the entire tank decor/decorations

What you don't want is the bullied fish becoming so stressed that it comes down with an illness, which can affect your entire stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my experience the aggression that occurs when introducing a new Aulonocara typically subsidies. My Sunshine went absolutely bats- -t when I introduced a very spry, bright colored Lemon Jake. The Jake was almost solid grey within a day. After 3 days or so they became pals. Now they swim around together as if they are good friends . That's obviously just one example from 1 person . It's happened pretty much the same with all of my peacocks. Personally I think you might have too many Mbuna for the number of peacocks... That could be an issue down the road .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts