Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I read the article on what to post, but I can say I've narrowed a few things down.

I have a main breeding tank. It's a 180, had it just short of a year now. Cycle is not an issue. 0 ammonia and nitrites. I do my water changes, 50% a week. I use a hardness additive, and I honestly don't know what the reading is or the PH. My Africans have been breeding for me almost a year straight, several species.

I used to breed Protomelas Steveni's, but I sold my females off to another member here. I was also breeding Electric yellow's but stopped breeding them as too many of my fry were getting the black lines in the body. Currently I am breeding Ps. Flavus, and Nimbochromis Venustus. My females of these two species just spawned yesterday. For my Flavus, this is the fourth spawning for me she's done. She's the lone adult female in the tank, with two males. I KNOW, I should have more females with two males, and I'm working on that. Her first spawn was Dec 21 last year. She yielded 18 fry on her very first try. I bought the group listed as F1's not sure how true that is though.

Out of that group, I had 10 die off trying to ship them back in March, and seven of them became prey for other fish. I have 1 left out of that first group, and noticed belmishes and a bump on the head. I sent photo's of it to a biology expert, and the day after that, found a female Opaline Gourami also had what appeared to be warts on their body as well. I have the medications I need being sent to me, and should be here tomorrow.

My question is this. With the female Flavus and Venustus brooding eggs in their mouth, and a bacterial pathogen in the tank, are those eggs at any risk? Would it be in my best interest to just move the holding females out now?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It all depends on what you're treating the tank with...

I believe I would just skip these two clutches (as far as saving them goes) and treat all of the fish. Both should spawn again in a month, just let them release their fry into the main tank...Or, you could strip them now, and give them a better chance of maintaining their energy level through the treatment.

I've had a lot of problems with flavus healthwise, so I can sympathize.

I would really try to get more females, though...That lone female is going to get worn down pretty quickly dealing with two males. The more stressed she becomes, the more health issues you'll experience in the tank.

Kim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts