Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male gymnogeophagus gymnogenys Arroyo Yerbalito and want to add 3 females to complete a harem in my 55 g. But the other fish in the tank can't handle the typical cool-down the gymnos reportedly need. So my question is, if I reduced temps to 70 degrees--about the low end of the other fish in the tank (platys, cories, tetras, rainbows, otos)--would that be enough to take the heat stress off the gymnos and also get them in the mood for breeding?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It is possible providing that your water parameters are also good. I have noticed when I put cooler water in my tank and it starts to rise back to where it was at my fish spawn.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I wouldn't try keeping dwarf Gymnogeo's, unless you can bring down temps in their tank for about three months to the low 60's high 50's fahrenheit- minimum.
Let alone breeding conditioning.
They definitely need that cool water rest period, or these cichlids will burn out on you quicker than you think.
Plus, when you bring those temps up you're gonna need to push some massive amounts of R/O (or actual saved rainwater) in water changes, to positively stimulate breeding conditions. Feeding meaty foods such as a ton of blackworms, chopped up earthworms and mosquito larvae during the warming period, will put the females into plumper, breeding condition as well.
Good luck.
Gymnogeophagines can be pretty tough as a breeding project. :?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have six species of these crazy Naked Earth Eaters and they are by far my favorite fish to work with . As far as tank mates , NONE of those you mentioned will work , there are a couple ( maybe a few ) Apisto's from the same area and river . I keep Red Ciebels with mine . l keep my Gymnos no higher than 75 F during the late spring - late fall . Winter time , the temps come down to 63-65 F ( it might even get down to 60 F )for about four months , give or take .
As far as breeding them ? IME , they are absolutley no work , LOL ... Mine breed constantly and the fry are easy to raise . As far as your harem , IME , once they pair up , they stay paired and males do not breed with other females so I always sold off my extra females . They are very picky which rocks they choose to lay their eggs on and forget about keeping rooted plants after the fry hatch because they build large pits and it seems every day they move the fry to new pits ! Anywhoo , Good luck !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.