Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kept these in a mixed SA tank? I have a 125 gal. 6' tank with a small group of Geophagus, a single Severum, a single Heckeli and a pair of Aequidens metae. There is also a small chocolate cichlid that may move out. I think it may be too similar and too big to work with the Paratilapia long term I was considering keeping a single Paratilapia. I keep the tank at 80-81 degrees and do a 40-50% water change weekly. Any thoughts? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Don't do it. :oops:
These Madagascar originating Cichlids are known 'Tough Guys' in every sense of the word. One of those would completely dominate every one of those fish in your 125 gallon tank, and would probably wind up killing some as well.
I've heard of Severum being kept successfully with an individual P. polleni. But usually in mixed type tanks, these are kept 'species only' as a spawning pair. Or as individuals, with rougher/meaner Central American Cichlids.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't do it. :oops:
These Madagascar originating Cichlids are known 'Tough Guys' in every sense of the word. One of those would completely dominate every one of those fish in your 125 gallon tank, and would probably wind up killing some as well.
I've heard of Severum being kept successfully with an individual P. polleni. But usually in mixed type tanks, these are kept 'species only' as a spawning pair. Or as individuals, with rougher/meaner Central American Cichlids.
Thanks for the input. That was my first instinct before I started reading....
I've seen some accounts that liken them to Oscar's in temperament and requirements. Also some folks suggest SA tankmates. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.
Beautiful fish.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Knew there was some recent info on this I could refer you to. Back in October there was this posting thread that may help to inform,
From that thread you can see that two pretty 'hard core' members of @lawdog68 aquarium, the Paratilapia polleni (Starry Night Cichlid) and a Red Severum were just putting the 'beat down' on his Green Terror (GT). This out-of-control aggression had apparently escalated to the point, that the GT has since been permanently removed from that community tank.
It was just not survivable for it in there.
So yes, the Red Severum has been getting a (well-deserved) reputation lately as a Severum type with a LOT more aggressive personality than it's calmer green and certainly red-shouldered cousins. And well, as for the the P. polleni in that situation? He just behaved and acted pretty much as expected, for that Cichlid species . :cautious:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Knew there was some recent info on this I could refer you to. Back in October there was this posting thread that may help to inform,
From that thread you can see that two pretty 'hard core' members of @lawdog68 aquarium, the Paratilapia polleni (Starry Night Cichlid) and a Red Severum were just putting the 'beat down' on his Green Terror (GT). This out-of-control aggression had apparently escalated to the point, that the GT has since been permanently removed from that community tank.
It was just not survivable for it in there.
So yes, the Red Severum has been getting a (well-deserved) reputation lately as a Severum type with a LOT more aggressive personality than it's calmer green and certainly red-shouldered cousins. And well, as for the the P. polleni in that situation? He just behaved and acted pretty much as expected, for that Cichlid species . :cautious:
The aggression in the tank has calmed down over time, the GT can not go in the 150 at all. I tried to put him back, i rearranged the aquarium so everyone can have a fresh start. NOPE it did not work, GT was after Starry Night, Chocolate Cichlid and Red Serverum And they were after him. Once i removed the GT the tank is in chill mode, the Starry Night and Chocolate Cichlid go at it once in a while, they like to go into each other spot. The Red Serverum Judas the does his thing, no one bothers him. The Geophagus’s stay to their selves (no one bothers them), i even added a pink JD. So now all is good

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The aggression in the tank has calmed down over time, the GT can not go in the 150 at all. I tried to put him back, i rearranged the aquarium so everyone can have a fresh start. NOPE it did not work, GT was after Starry Night, Chocolate Cichlid and Red Serverum And they were after him. Once i removed the GT the tank is in chill mode, the Starry Night and Chocolate Cichlid go at it once in a while, they like to go into each other spot. The Red Serverum Judas the does his thing, no one bothers him. The Geophagus’s stay to their selves (no one bothers them), i even added a pink JD. So now all is good
Interesting, thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.