Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 180gal tank that has been up and running for years now. I have 3 Zaire Blue Frontosas that I've had for about 5 years. About a week ago, I noticed a white bump near the dorsal fin of one of them.. and a few days ago, I noticed a similar bump on the side of another.

At first, i chalked it up to potential injury, but now that a second one has a similar one, i'm a bit suspicious that more is going on here.

Researching online, of course, only has made me a bit more worried that it could be a leech or anchor worm, or something of the like...

Here's a few pics (best i could get)... the bumps are roughly 3-5mm in diameter and they are raised about 2-3mm. none of them are acting too strangely. They all eat fine. But I did notice one of them flash against the sand once in the span of about 30 minutes (hardly abnormal, but stated for the sake of full disclosure).

Any ideas?

thanks for any help. I've been doing extra water changes, etc... but I'm thinking this will need some treatment of sorts... just want to diagnose it properly so I can get the appropriate meds.

thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It looks like a parasite to me.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Since they've recently appeared on two separate fish, I'd say the spots are something to worry about.

Have you recently added any new plants or fish? Can you please post your water parameters- pH, NO3, etc.

Can you get a close up shot of one of the spots? Does it look cottony? Solid? For right now, I would start with Pimafix and possibly Melafix to help the fish cope with it. Keep up with the water changes- I like to see nitrates (NO3) below 10ppm when dealing with potential disease. The cleaner your water, the quicker the fish can heal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts