Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I decided to give my hand at keeping Rams, having had no luck the last time(s) in the UK (now in the US) The first pair in QT died within a week; I think I spooked them when I put the light on in the morning so I put in a timer.

THe second pair looked good, and within 48hrs spawned, then ate their eggs on the third day but continued to look great so after 4 days I thought to treat with Praxipro before putting into my planted tank as it is supposed to be fairly "gentle". A week out, and they are still looking healthy, courting. I fed them that morning, and decided I would transfer into my planted tank that night.

That evening, the male was dead. She was still looking good, so I transfer her to the planted tank. She's doing well for two weeks, then starts hiding and stops eating. I noticed some stringy white and clear poop. I wondered if there was parasite in my planted tank as the first fish were never treated for anything a precaution. I also have shrimp in there; so I am currently treating with Praxipro.

Two days later and still not eating, I thought she looked slightly bloated so *** added some epsom salts in case its constipation. I looked closely and her dorsal and ventral (the one underneath?) fins looks a bit ragged/separated (just on the very ends).

Im loathe to move her unless I really have to; I just have the feeling part of the reason she's still alive is the planted tank is a pretty calm environment with the dither fish and other amicable companions about (red shrimp, amanos, yellow fin rainbows).

This was so bizaare how healthy she (and the male) looked so great initially then just went down hill. Its a 10g densely planted tank; not runninc CO2 at the moment. Did a 3/2 wter change before medicating (normally weekly change) and parameters are all good; Ill be doing this every 2-3 days while treating. I use only RO water for this tank.

What do you guys think? Im not sure where to go from here. Its been 2 days Praxipro, 1 day + epsom. Possibly its too late for her; never had much success with healing sick Rams.

Sorry about the resolution; I only had my phone cam available at the moment; SLR is out of the house.

Caz

·
Registered
623 Posts
sounds like internal parasites. I would treat with a medicated food as a precaution. I use the Jungle pellets. Make sure thats all that you feed, otherwise the fish wont eat it, apparently its gross.

For the fins, im not sure, maybe aggression?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks for your input.

Unbelievably, she's still alive today (to my amazement) though still hiding.THe problem with medicated food is she has stopped eating completely. I have inverts in that tank.

She's been through a full treatment of Praxipro; though I know it doesnt treat flagellates (?) though that was in QT; now Im treating the whole tank. SInce adding the epsom salts, shes produced more stringy poop.

I think the fin thing COULD be because she is "resting" on the fins, also. SHes the most assertive fish in that tank, no one really goes near her, especially whilst in hiding.

I saw the Clout treatment recommended but I cant find it in stores. I can only find erythromicin, tetraclycline, maracyn, furan(?) and the jungle clear tank. I suppose I could just pull her out and do jungle clear. OR catch ALL the fish out and treat the all the fish separately in my QT tank.

Do you think Jungle (tank clear) is the best way to go, if I cant find Clout? (BTW - is the jungle medicated food safe to add if you have inverts/scaleless fish (kuhli loaches for eg) - though in wouldnt be useful this time since she isnt eating)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Jungle Parasite Clear, or Tetra Parasite Guard are good meds for internal parasites.
If you only have one fish not eating, I'd quarantine and treat in a smaller tank, then treat the main tank with medicated food for at least a week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She died :( WEll I was expecting it anyway; I had just moved the QT tank in from the garage (wanted to watch her closely) and was going to get Jungle clear meds.

I did a crude dissection (Im a scientist) and now I think she was egg bound because a bunch of eggs burst out (she laid eggs the 2nd day I had he,r before she/male ate the eggs and they looked like those). I cant find that much info about this and its treatment (or even if I am diagnosing correctly) but I have these observations:

1. SHe looked like she was ready to lay eggs on the first day I noticed her stop eating (bulge in anal area as she did right before she laid the first time; but she never did and the bulge disappeared

2. She didnt look really bloated like other photos I have seen of 'bloat" which is why I wasnt sure if it was parasites and was posting on this forum (no other fish sick, AND she'd been QTd, healthy for at least 6 wks plus treated with prazipro); her stomach just looked "hard" to me

Do you think this sounds plausible?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts