Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

So I have got my Tang community almost fully stocked, just waiting on another batch of cyps because out of the 15 the LFS ordered for me only 6 survived :(

So at the moment I have the following (all juveniles):

6 x J. Dickfeldi
4 x A. Calvus
6 x Gold Occies
1 x Spathodus (not sure which one they all look the same apart from thier teeth apparently)
6 x Cyps Utinta (will be increasing this once my next order comes in).

Obviously I am trying for a pair each with the juli's, calvus and occies. But this is my first go with Tangs, or any aggressive fish really, so I'm not quite sure when exactly I'm supposed to remove the extra's? How much violence is acceptable in the pairing up phase?

At the moment the Juli's are definately the most aggressive and seem to have formed 2 pairs (one in each rock pile) and the other two hang out in the open with the calvus and cyps. Do I need to wait for them to spawn to confirm a pair or can I assume that since there is one big and one small one hanging out in the same cave they are a pair and remove the extra's?

The Juli's are the only one's that are picking on other species besides thier own but they are the also the only ones to show any signs of pairing yet.

None of them are looking too beat up and they are all eating well. The reject Juli's seem to have a much darker colouring than the others though and I think maybe they are trying to camoflage with the background to avoid being seen and picked on by the others.

So do you think its time for me to remove 4 juli's and just keep one of the suspected pairs?

·
Registered
173 Posts
What size tank?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lestango's question is a good one regarding the long-term success of this tank, but it's irrelevant to what you're asking, for now. I'd wait a smidgen longer to make sure you've got a pair. Anytime you see a fish hiding out in the top corners of the tank/behind the heater/whatever, it's probably a good idea to pull it. Once you see fry, definitely remove the others.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Lestango's question is very relevant to the question. Tank size will determine how much aggression the OP will see during the pairing process.

As a rule of thumb, when you start seeing torn fins and missing tails its time to pull out. Personally, I will allow a shredded fin or too if it does not look fatal. I would let the julies stay together until the unpaired fish start looking ragged out. If your tank is big enough you may be able to keep more than one pair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is a 4' by 2'

I have a rock pile at each end (meant to accomodate a pair of Juli's on one side and a pair of alto's on the other except at the moment the Juli's are hogging all the housing). Sand bed and shells in the middle for the occies, the back wall is covered by a thicket of val's that reach to the surface to provide some cover for the cyps.

None of the fish look ragged, one of them has a slight tear in his dorsal fin but it is small and doesnt look serious. I have seen two of my juli's lip lock once when doing a water change. It was two of the smaller ones which I think are males??, but it didnt last long. I just dont want to lose fish because I was too slow to seperate them. I am pretty fond of them all.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
In that size tank, I'd go with only one pair of dickfeldi, primarily because of the five species. The calvus need something to claim in the way of a rock pile. So, I'd go ahead and pick one group that's claimed a rock pile and remove the rest. You can probably sell them off and let someone else get a pair out of them. If two dickfeldi are cohabitating a rock pile and are being aggressive with others, that's all you need to see. Stress from aggression can kill, even if you don't see physical damage. You can always move the extras to another tank and hold on to them for a bit, if you want to make sure you've got a compatible pair in the main tank.

You should be good then until the calvus grow out. If you're lucky, you've got 1m/3f. If not, then you'll see and know when it's time to pull extra males. You may be able to leave any/all females.

The occies are a tougher one because the males may temporarily reject females. You don't want to pull them too quickly, Just make sure they've got a place to get away from the male. And they are harem breeders, but mine never did more than just pair up. Just something to keeep in mind. Don't be quick to pull extra females.

The spathodus should do fine on his own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts