Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Painting a tank back while it's running?

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  PortiaD 
#1 ·
Has anyone painted a tank that was set up and running? I never thought about it until after setting my new 20 gallon up. There's plenty of room in back to do it. Other than the obvious of covering the top to make sure no paint got in is there anything else to consider?

I have some satin interior/exterior black paint already, can I use that?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I've painted about 5 tanks and out of those 1 was painted while set up and in place. Obviously it is easier to do an empty tank but it is still possible to do it with the tank set up.

I always use a roller and apply the first coat light to medium and let it dry completely before applying the second coat.

Also i always use a latex paint. Its much easier to remove if you make a mistake.

I also always cut a piece of cardboard the size of the tank and tape it to the back to protect the paint from getting scratched.

#6 ·
the wrinkles do look terrible. either paint of construction paper gonna be your best bets. GL to ya. just properly ventilate your home if you plan to paint it inside. (aerosols are obviously bad and you run the risk of exposure to the tank) just use caution and youll be alright.

#8 ·
Norm66 said:
I'm definitely not using a trash bag. If I wanted something taped on I'd just go get a black background at the fish store or use construction paper rather than a bag. the wrinkles would look bad IMO.
I did a piss poor job of tinting my 20 gallon; the wrinkles look terrible. I just received a 20 gal long tank today and painted it black. I used rust oleum.

#10 ·
It's done and it looks great. Still waiting for the paint to dry enough to get the tape off (I'm too messy to try without taping) but I stuck the lights over the tanks enough to check it out. I'm very pleased with the outcome. It makes a huge difference. I can't believe I never did it before.

#12 ·
Norm66 said:
It's done and it looks great. Still waiting for the paint to dry enough to get the tape off (I'm too messy to try without taping) but I stuck the lights over the tanks enough to check it out. I'm very pleased with the outcome. It makes a huge difference. I can't believe I never did it before.
how many coats did you put on? I have a 55 Im going to do. I have the paint but have lacked the time to get it done.

#13 ·
"how many coats did you put on?"

I think it wound up being about five or six coats all together. I only had a small amount of paint and pretty much quit painting when the paint ran out. I used a roller and they went on really thin, but I think 4 would probably have done it.

As it was I put my HOB filter on the 29 and sound up peeling a very small piece of paint off with the part that touches the back of the tank. I slid it without leaning the filter forward. Doh! It's only a little goof though. I've done worse.

#14 ·
Norm66 said:
As it was I put my HOB filter on the 29 and sound up peeling a very small piece of paint off with the part that touches the back of the tank. I slid it without leaning the filter forward. Doh! It's only a little goof though. I've done worse.
Thats why i recommended that you put a piece of cardbaord on the back of the tank after you paint it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.