Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They've been in the tank for about 6 days, but still act very skittish. They are active (out in the open) only a few times a day...most of the time they just hang out in the caves. Is this normal behavior?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
What size tank (length and width) and what are their tankmates?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@DJ...sorry, I should have known to include that.
Standard 55 gal, slate stacks (with plenty of caves).
The 7 Williamsi are the only occupants, save one or two loaches that haven't been massacred.
I have 1 dominant male, 5 females and 1 subdominant male (I think).

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
It's probably just because they are alone in the tank. Mbuna feel safe enough to come out more when they overcrowded. They should come out more when you add your next group of mbuna.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I agree with DJ. The above behavior is not common for the species in aquariums.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i agree also. are they coming out to eat and eating good amounts? adding more will help a great deal. they might still be adjusting to a new tank. who knows but as long as they are eating and not dying theyll probably be fine. for sure add some more. good luck witg those awesome fish.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the input!
More mbuna wasn't really in the budget but I guess we can consider it if it will make them more comfortable. What would be a good compliment?
Otherwise, the Williamsi are active and fat and eating well :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Misterted...thanks for the suggestion. I see in the profile that they like to keep in the upper levels of the tank, which would certainly be a nice compliment.

I'm also wondering about some Ps. Zebra Long PELVIC Mdoka. There are some for sale on Aquabid and I really like their coloring...does anyone know if they would be too aggressive?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Acei are generally considered too large for a 55 gallon.
I believe Ps. Zebra Long PELVIC Mdoka is an old naming convention, you might find more info using Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Mdoka".
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=873

Edit-Actually, I've also found Metriaclima sp. "zebra long pelvic" with a common name of Pseudotropheus sp. "Zebra Long Pelvic" from the regions of Ngara, Mdoka, and Chesese.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=934

Pretty confusing...but I think they're all Elongatus from the three different regions.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
They are aggressive by all the various names. I don't know what would mix well with williamsi.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@GTZ, thanks for the clarification!
@DJ, what are your thoughts on some Rusties? Of course, I want to avoid crossbreeding as well.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would agree with GTZ about the acei. They easily reach 6 plus inches when mature. They make a 4-foot tank look small.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
The profile says they are orangey colored with blue lips. Too close to the rusties for my taste, but I like contrast in a tank.

What about Cynotilapia sp hara? Give you a different color and attractive females. Not too aggressive.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@DJ - I like that suggestion a contrasting color would be great. Are they the same as
"Cynotilapia Afra Gallireya Reef F1 "Blue Hara " " (as seen on AquaBid) ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
They might just need more time. I have a large, older pair of f1 Williamsi. Yes, a Mbuna that you can keep as a pair only. My Male is 5" & female is 4" spawned numerous times. I have never known them to be skitish or their fry. Are they fry or adults? Granted my experience has only been this pair but, they have always been very out going.
I love them because they are very wild as fry but, very mellow in comparison to other Mbuna as adults. Also a very uncommon Mbuna.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Cjbtech...thanks for the info, that is good to know!
I was not planning on buying more mbuna anyway until our tax return refund comes in.
I will monitor them and see how/if their behavior changes.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
My experience with these guys has been a little different. I bought six young adults (1M:5F or 2M:4F not sure) this past summer and placed them in a 40 gallon long with a trio of Ps saulosi that are approximately the same size. The Ps williamsi hid frequently but were out and about occasionally (except for the dominant male who was almost always out). The saulosi seemed a bit more dominant but then the saulosi were there first, so maybe that's why.

After a couple months, some tank space freed up and I moved the saulosi. The six williamsi have the 40 long all to themselves. They are now out from the rocks pretty much all the time. But they are real skiddish and hide quickly when ever I approach the tank. So if your tank is in a high traffic area you will likely not see them all that much.

Kevin

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Cjbtech...oops, sorry, I forgot to say that they are adults or nearly so...Male is about 4.5", females 3.5-4"

@Structure Guy...thanks for the input. I will definitely resist the urge to put another species in for awhile then.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Structure guy I can see that behavior too from time to time. I think you did kind of hit on the fact that mine were 1st in the tank & yours were'nt who knows. I will say they are my favorite Mbuna that I have kept to date just for the fact they can be wild but don't seem to want to deystroy each other.
The male seems to tollerate everything but, does not like his space encroached upon. He will scare off all other fish from his size & bigger out of his small area in a 125g but, without the continued aggression. He's live & let live. Nice fish good luck mrs,som with yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts