Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I'm just gonna do a basic black background. I don't have the space in my apartment (or elsewhere) to do a DIY one (yours is gorgeous btw!). I figure black (or dark charcoal grey) will suffice.

And...the full tank with white LEDs on:

Tank3 by CichlidSnapsnMore, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the camera does not capture the awesome rippling effect the LEDs make throughout the tank and across the sand.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yah that's what I meant, just paint it black. I think it will look really nice with the slate if you play with the lighting a little to add some shadows and focus on the two rock piles.

Thanks for the comment on my tank. I've always had a black BG, but there was just too much open space at the top with a 30" tall tank. Next time I'll go with a longer, shorter tank. They just work better with Cichlids.

·
Registered
176 Posts
lol you got the same tank as me (55 gallon marineland) just got it for christmas but instead of using the daylight mode i just leave the night one on cant wait to get my fish good luck with the tank

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Benny, thanks! Yes, the blue lips are what drew us to them initially, so striking!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@GTZ...popped in a mature sponge filter from a cycled tank :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@GTZ Yeah, I've had tanks since I was 13 (I'm 25 now). While I'm far from expert, I always try to do my best for the fish.

In other news...It appears the Mbuna Death Squad struck during the night and wiped out the loaches :( I guess even the tiger loaches were not aggressive enough to hold their own.

My hubby wanted to get a fancy pleco but now I'm very reluctant, I really don't want them to pluck his eyes out.

Ideas?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, here are some more pics! Sorry about the blurryness of the night shots, I have a big fancy camera but still don't know how to take pictures properly (sigh...)

Tank with one moonlight on

With both moonlights

With daylights on

Feel free to critique away!

Oh and as far as the bottomfeeder/loach situation, I realized that only one of the three loaches perished, the other two have emerged unscathed :) I will probably just keep them for now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks nice! I think you could play with the lighting a little to make the back of the tank a little darker and hide the equipment and really spotlight the two rock piles. I used some duct tape on the glass top to create shadows in my tank :D . It really helps with the overall effect and makes the aquascaping fade into the shadows.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fish_addiction said:
Looks nice! I think you could play with the lighting a little to make the back of the tank a little darker and hide the equipment and really spotlight the two rock piles. I used some duct tape on the glass top to create shadows in my tank :D . It really helps with the overall effect and makes the aquascaping fade into the shadows.
Hey! Sorry, I didn't get the notification of your reply for some reason...
Anyway, I'm nervous to mess with the lighting as it is all brand new and contained. And duck tape on my precious LEDs???? Lol...I don't think I can bring myself to do it. I will play around with something though and see.
Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.