Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hybrid, Acceptable fish, or Nice specimen?
1. Hybrid28.70%
2. Acceptable1252.17%
3. Nice Specimen939.13%

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recieved this fish yesterday, yet his striping seems a little off. Is it normal to for the Taiwan Reefs to have this pattern , or is the fish a hybrid in your opinion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think the fish looks the way it should. Mine was a juvie and is growing out now. His striping was very similar to yours.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The fish looks decent. It has nice color and shape that resembles what it should look like. It still has much more growing to do. You will be happy when he reaches his full potential.

On the other hand, I have raised many and seen better specimens that would more closely match what I would want in an idealized type. Personally, I would need to see perfect "H" markings on both sides of this fish for it not to be culled from my breeding stock.

·
Registered
372 Posts
cichlid_baby said:
On the other hand, I have raised many and seen better specimens that would more closely match what I would want in an idealized type. Personally, I would need to see perfect "H" markings on both sides of this fish for it not to be culled from my breeding stock.
Would have to agree

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BoilerFan said:
Can anyone post a picture of an idealized specimen?
Just google it. All the ones that I have seen have the H pattern. That's why I asked. He's settling in, and I just noticed his other side is even more off. I'll try to get a pic tonight.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just googled these for reference and to illustrate a point... atleast in my opinion..

Some examples... of Nice and Clean specimens with regards to barring pattern.

and these would be culled in my fishroom and removed from breeding due to poor barring.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is an all male tank, so I'm not going to breed him. I just wished he looked like THOSE pics! :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for taking the time. I'm no stranger to googling fish images, but I wanted to make sure I understood what you meant. I also wasn't quite clear if you were saying the H pattern was desirable or not.

Her's my guy:

My photography skills don't do his color justice, but you can see the H pattern.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Floridagirl said:
Mine is an all male tank, so I'm not going to breed him. I just wished he looked like THOSE pics! :D
I think he looks pretty sweet which is all that matters if you're not going to breed him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts