Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to obtain a male P. Elongatus, but am not too sure about these two in a tank together. I currently have a 4" male Maingano in a community tank with Labs and Acei and he is not at all aggressive toward the other fish, but none of the other fish look anything like him.

Should I just say "no" or could it work?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
If you have a 75G or larger and are not saving fry and have enough extra lab and acei females to cover the two extra males it should work. Since both maingano and elongatus are aggressive I'd want 22 females in the tank along with the 4 males.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow...I did some more research on this fish and apparently he is one of the most aggressive mbunas there is! I don't think I'll risk putting him in my community tank.

How would he do with 2 female Dempsies in a 75-gallon?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I keep elongatus chewere in my 75g with my mainganos and have never had a problem.The elongatus is the tank boss and honestly doesnt pay any attention to them what so ever.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
danatwh said:
Wow...I did some more research on this fish and apparently he is one of the most aggressive mbunas there is! I don't think I'll risk putting him in my community tank.
It's actually very confusing. The actual true species called Pseudotropheus elongatus is not common in the hobby because it is very aggressive and there are other attractive fish to choose from. It is supposed to be a very territorial fish.

The fish commonly sold as the "Elongatus" is Pseudotropheus sp. "Elogatus Likoma" or "Ornatus" sometimes. This fish is not more aggressive than normal, and is a good fish for Mbuna communities. It is similar to a Socolofi in size and temperament.

Plus, there are another 2 dozen fish which are part of the Elongatus group which have Elongatus in their name, such as "Elongatus Mpanga" and "Elongatus Chewere" which are different fish.

So you have to find out what you would be getting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, believe it or not, the breeder says they are F1 "Kanchedza". Apparently, he obtained a wild caught pair by mail order, they had one brood, and subsequently lost most of the fry as well as the parents :(

He no longer wants to breed these fish (or any fish), so he is rehoming the 9 survivors.

I looked online for Kanchedza and it appears that they are only available wild caught, if available at all.

Why are these so hard to come by? Are they really that difficult to raise in captivity?

I'm thinking I should get all 9 of them. He doesn't want much for them and he says they are healthy. I do have an empty 55-gallon that is in the process of cycling right now that they could go in.

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=575

I'm sure they are not that difficult. All Mbuna seem easy to breed so that is not an issue.

Think it is a newer found variant, that has not been established in the hobby much yet.

The hobby cannot support all of the possible fish from Lake Malawi that could be kept and have colorful males, there are so many. New "fresh look" types get imported while some other types disappear from the hobby.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose you are right about there being so many different species of fish in Lake Malawi, that it would be impossible for dealers to carry them all, lol.

The guy did tell me that Kanchedza is a fairly recent addition to the hobby, so it just may be a matter of time before they become readily available.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Spare 55, eh? Get them, the Elongatus complex is a wonderful complex. They are constantly active, bright, and I have found only to be aggressive toward similar colored/patterned fish. That being said, your Maingano should be OK if they were to be housed together, especially since the Maingano are already established. If you put them in w/them, take all structure out of tank, addd new fish, and add Maingano last.
Chailosi are my favorite....

Likoma....wild caught

Have some "Bee's" growing on at the moment.

Enjoy those Elongs!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, if they are mostly aggressive toward their own, how would keeping a group of them in a 55-gallon work out in the long term?

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey, thanks for buying those!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I picked up nine F1 P. Elongatus Kanchedza fry this afternoon...they are just about an inch long and super-cute! They seem to like their new home just fine and are very active poking around the rocks and grazing on algae. I can see already that I'm going to enjoy these fish a lot!

I can't believe I stumbled across these little jewels! The young man I got them from said he offered them to the local privately owned fish shops first and they weren't interested in them. I'm guessing it's because they don't want to tie up a tank for a month waiting the for them to get big enough to sell.

Well, I'm glad they didn't take them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
danatwh said:
catdawg426 said:
Thanks for selling them to me--they seem happy and they ate everything I put into the tank!
glad to hear it, great that they are eating already!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
catdawg426 said:
danatwh said:
catdawg426 said:
Thanks for selling them to me--they seem happy and they ate everything I put into the tank!
glad to hear it, great that they are eating already!
I was surprised also I offered them just a little bit of crushed flakes to see if they showed any interest in eating and they didn't waste any time making it all disappear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
catdawg426

Here's a pic of my 55-gallon (the one sitting on top of the gas fireplace). This was taken in December, 2010. I have since rearranged the rocks some and added more plastic plants.[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, the above was intended to be sent as a pm to catdawg426...I thought clicking on a person's user name would only send a message to that person.

I would have deleted it, but I couldn't figure out how.

·
Registered
50 Posts
danatwh said:
Sorry, the above was intended to be sent as a pm to catdawg426...I thought clicking on a person's user name would only send a message to that person.

I would have deleted it, but I couldn't figure out how.
That looks GREAT, I'm glad I moved them to a better home than I could give them!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The little guys are doing great; almost all of them have their stripes now and they are growing fast and I am really enjoying them.

Here's a picture of the tank they are living in:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for the compliment on my other tank! It is pretty cool. I moved the 2 Dempseys out and put them in another 55-gallon, so now that tank looks pretty empty with only 6 fish in it. I have one male Maingano and he is the boss of the tank, but the labs and aceis don't take him too seriously, lol. He is a beautiful fish and is good boy for the most part.

One of the labs is holding, so if she manages to carry them to full-term, I would be happy to save a few for you. This is her second hold...she only made it 4 days the first time. She's at 7 days now. She is a good quality lab with a nice, thick black dorsal stripe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts