Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired 9 of these guys from a local breeder. The parents were wild-caught and these are from the first and only brood produced. They are 2 months old and 1" long.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is one of the largest of the fry...lots of stripes! Oh...that white stringy-thing is an errant root, in case you're wondering. :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Looks good. I was kinda surprised to see more of these. I have a pair of F1's - and they've hda 2 broods. I managed to keep both sets.

I have about 18 fry, 10-12 are about 1.5-2", the others are from the 2nd brood.

I'll see about getting some pics up (I have some ones of the parents up in some deeply buried thread).

The parents seem to keep to themselves and the fry (also with 4 Cyno Afra 'hara' and 6 yellow labs in a growout tank) don't pester anyone.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I saw your thread and concern about mainganos... I have 9 mainganos in my 125, about 4 males, and the male F1 Kanchedza I have keeps to himself but flirts like crazy with the 1 F1 female Kanchedza I have; the maingano leave her alone (she's grey/brown vs the female maingano are blue, just like their males).

I'd say you'll be fine, but just like any mbuna, you can never be 100% sure.

I will still get some pics; I love the looks of him/her. (just not enough to keep them as a feature in the tank, since the females are dull)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Here's the male:

& Female:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for uploading pics; those are great looking fish!

Can't wait until my fry start coloring up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a couple more pics of the fry today. They are now 10 weeks old and doing great! I do have 9 fry, but for some reason I only seem to get 8 of them in a picture at the same. One must be camera shy!

·
Registered
509 Posts
These fish are the epitome of ugly ducklings when they are little but once they mature they are stunning. Enjoy them!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are definitely pretty drab-looking, but thankfully, they will eventually turn into swans. In the right light, I can see a blue sheen on several of them, so maybe in a couple more weeks the color will start to become more obvious and then I'll know what my male/female ratio is. What ratio of females to males will I need in order to keep relative peace in the tank? I'm thinking 5 or 6? I am planning to put one male with some of his sisters in my community mbuna tank 'cause I won't be trying to raise any fry from them. My other tank will be dedicated to just the Kanchedza, so I would like to find someone to trade females with so they aren't inbreeding.

Here's a pic of my community tank...it sits above my fireplace and almost looks built into the wall. It's at perfect eye-level and it doesn't take up any floor space. I love this location 'cause it is definitely the focal point of the room.

By redridertwh at 2011-06-11

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I was worried about that too (inbreeding); I was told don't worry about it.

My M&F above are brother & sister and the offspring are gorgeous. I was going to let them all go but man, they look better at their current size than the parents did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? I thought inbreeding was more or less frowned upon. I guess if I just sell the offspring to the LFS's, it doesn't really matter, but I'm not crazy about having these special fish just going to any Joe Q. Public-who-doesn't-know-anything-about-cichlids.

I kind of want to keep them within the hobby so I know they will be appreciated and cared for. I get pretty attached to my animals, be they 4-legged or finned and I just think I would worry too much about them.

Am I being overly protective? Should I just get over it?

How old are the fry from the first batch? Do you have any pics of your fry that you can post for comparison purposes?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Outcrossing can introduce more defects than it can prevent.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
here's a few of the dominant male youngin:

not sure this is the same male:

Here's some likely females:

Some other fry:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, I'm only planning on keeping 2 males from my brood (can't tell their gender yet), so if I have extras, they will be available...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
danatwh said:
Approximately how old are the fish in these pictures?
The larger ones, 6 months.

The smaller, 4 months.

They're really slow growers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts