Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 5 ft 120g tank. In this tank I plan on having 8 Saulosi (2M 6F) and 10 yellow labs (3M 7F) How does this rate on stocking. So far I have seen zero signs of aggression and I have been constantly working to get my ratio's perfect. I have only been buying yellow labs that are holding (to hopefully ensure their female status) and have been getting rid of fish I think are males. How do my ratio's look now?

My other question is if I have a yellow lab I really like but for some reason or another in the old 55g tank in which the ratios were 4 or 5M (yes males) and 2F he constantly got the **** beat out of him. If I can narrow my stock down to 1 M or 2 M would it be a good move to re-introduce him? or what if I swapped him with another current male? What are the likely hood that he will get destroyed in the new tank which is more than 2x the size? Right now he is with his shell dwelling buddy in a 20g L

EDIT: I forgot to say that the subdominant male in the 120g tank right now is not nearly as pretty as the fish that I have sitting in my 20g . I have been debating just switching him for the sub dom.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You are understocked and can definitely add more fish if you want. I would add a few more females for the boys, but in a tank that size with so few fish they will probably be fine as you have them. As far as adding the other yellow lab, it might work in the new bigger tank where they have enough personal space. There really is no way to know for sure unless you try it. On the whole you do better adding less aggressive fish first so they can get used to the tank before you add more aggressive fish though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I understocked in a bad way? My problem is in my last tank I got overstocked with a bad mix and I am seriously tired of wasting money on fish that get killed. I want everyone to be happy. I want to not have to worry about aggression. The only think I was thinking about adding to that mix would be M. Callinos, but even that scares me. I had a really bad experience with M. Esthrae.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Did u vent the YL? M. Callainos will look nice in that tank. :thumb: Try adding a group of Ps. Acei. It'll be better if u have 3M and 9F Ps. Saulosi, same with ur YL(3M and 9F). :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jhunbj said:
Did u vent the YL?
No, I didn't need to. I assumed that unless I directly knew it was female, it was male. I bought only labs that were holding when purchased fish.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Doane said:
jhunbj said:
Did u vent the YL?
No, I didn't need to. I assumed that unless I directly knew it was female, it was male. I bought only labs that were holding when purchased fish.
Of course the ones that are holding are females, but just because a fish isn't holding doesn't make it a male. It could be a less dominant female that the males don't choose to spawn with.

Keeping two males of a species isn't a great idea, I would go with 3 male saulosi and increase the females to 9.

As far as the Yellow labs go, I think you're worrying too much about your sex ratio in that size tank. :thumb:

M. callainos will be fine with those two species, but I would go with a rather large group of them to start out, unless you can get sexed adults. Besides, more blue will look great in the tank...I'd start out with 9 or 10.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'd love to have your tank lol. I've been looking for a 5ft. 120g. tank with no luck. Seems it's a hard size to find. 6ft. is alot easier to find. Can you PM me and tell me where you got it? I'm not all that far from C. Park Md. :) Thanks
and have fun stocking that tank...I'm soooo jealous lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.