Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting this on behalf of friend.

30x12x24 tank, roughly 35 gal tank. Hob filter rated for 55 gal. Moderately planted with 2 pieces of driftwood.

1 large angel fish 4-5"
4 german rams
1 redtail shark 4-5"
2 rainbow sharks 4"
10 neon tetra
4 oto's
2 large bronze cories
8 panda cories
2 clown loaches 3-4" for a snail problem (he spoke to lfs owner and returning them after snails are gone is not a problem)

Suggestions please.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
If the tank is planted that's not overstocked, it's just a very busy community tank, I would ditch the angelfish if you want the tank to look less busy. But what he should be looking at is his nitrate levels 1 week after a 50% water change and performing water changes weekly to keep up with the high nitrates his plants won't absorb...or adding more stemmed plants and free floating plants to suck those baddies up.

Either way you need to replenish water more often in overstocked tanks or the phosphorous (I believe) gets absorbed and you get a huge pH crash out of nowhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His maintenance is dismal..... maybe 20% water change once a month. Lazy or to busy with other things, he isn't the type to be on task with water changes.

Oh and a male beta too.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Would definitely get rid of the betta fish, they stress out if they dont' have their space even if they aren't fighting.

Don't know what else to tell you outside of what I'd already said - if he's too lazy to keep up with the water changes eventually his fish will suffer from HITH and start to die off.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think that having a redtail shark and two rainbow sharks will likely lead to aggression problems especially in a tank of that size. Both of those species can be very aggressive toward conspecifics and it is not generally recommended to kept the two together or more than one unless there is a lot of room to establish teritories. The albino variety of the rainbow shark is typically less aggressive though. My suggestion would be to remove both rainbow sharks or the redtail shark and one of the rainbows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.