Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys/gals, I have a 5ft 150g tank with 6 orange head geos (3"), 1 Short bodied GT(4"), 1 severum(4"), 2 stripped cats(4"), 5 SD(3-4"), 4 CL(3-4"). I current purchased 1 JD and 1 red parrot both 1" each.

Filtration consists of a 33g sump, 1 fx5, and 2 hydor V sponges. I wanted to purchase 1 keyhole cichlid, 1 nic, and maybe 1 firemouth. Is this too much or do I still have room when the fishes are mature size?

·
Registered
877 Posts
if i were you, i would sell the gt, jd and bp. i think they will just take over your tank and cause you trouble. in a 5 foot tank, they are really going to limit the options. those 3 fish by themselves in a 5 ft tank may not even work.

i think if you find them a new home, you would be ok to add a few more fish. with the geos and cats you have the bottom of the tank covored. sev will be nice in the middle of the tank so if i were you i would add something like a small group of festivum or maybe angels to fill the upper portion of your tank. if you dont want to add any more cichlids (possible agression) you could add a group of 3 or 4 roseline sharks or something similar to add some life to the upper water levels.

you should be good on filtration.

not sure what CL is. not ringing any bells

good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CL are clown loaches, the short bodied GT maxes at 5-6" and leaves my geos alone. i just noticed the JD getting picked on by the largest geo. i forgot to mention i have a female blue acara (4"). so far no aggression since they are juvies i guess.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
G'day dasani,

I agree with HONDO. My concern is that in the long run you have an inappropriate mix of cichlids in terms of aggression and adult size of the fish compared with the size of the tank.

The gold saum, JD and red parrot are all aggressive fish that should not be kept with the geos long term. They may be fine while juveniles, but once the reach sexual maturity they may become a problem. Nics are like geos, they do better in a small conspecific group. While one may be fine with the group of geos, I just imagine it will miss the interaction with others of it's own kind. The firemouth I'm not to sure about, but I wouldn't want it mixed in with an SA themed tank.

By the way, what are CL?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i do agree, but right now they got to stay there until i reseal my old 100g tank.

CL means clown loaches

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll be blunt - a random collection of fish from three continents won't get well or look good together.

Personally I'd change the substrate to sand, change the bricks/slates to river rocks, add some driftwood, keep the Geos and sev and call it a tank. But it's probably easier to get rid of the Geos, sev, GT, CL and do a CA tank instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts