Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mbuna have started having babies and a good handful of them aren't being eaten. As the fry grow up I think my tank will become overpopulated.

Is the a valid concern, and are there steps I should take to address this?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You could trade them off or use them for store credit, if they did get out of hand.
Alternately, you could buy some synodontis cats.

What species?

·
Registered
625 Posts
We would need tank size, species, and a round about number of total fish plus your filtration to help you determine if you were over stocked.

I have 32 fish ranging from .75" to 3.5" in a 75 gallon tank and with 10 gallon water changes a week, the nitrates hover between 20 and 40 ppm. I view overstocked as a culmination of your bioload and how well your fish live together. If they are happy and healthy and your water is good then you are not overstocked.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
brinkles said:
You could trade them off or use them for store credit, if they did get out of hand. Alternately, you could buy some synodontis cats
Plus one. The synodontis work well when fry are first spit so if you already have survivors those will continue.

Trading/selling is assuming the fry are pure because your stock has a very low chance of cross-breeding. :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone.

They are hybrids so I won't be selling them off. I have a friend who has a mbuna tank who probably wouldn't mind that they're hybrids and could adopt a couple. (He'd be responsible with them, and the fact that they're hybrids too).

Anyway they're half Metriaclima Estherae

I have a 55 gallon tank, with 9 metriaclima adults ranging from about 2.5" to 4" inches. The smallest of those is one of the breeding females but I imagine is still growing, 4 Cynotilapia afra who haven't started breeding yet and are all about 1.5" to 2.5" right now, and 2 plecos. I don't know the specifics about the filtration but I feel like the water is well filtered and I do about a 33% water change weekly. The fish do exist relatively well for a mbuna tank.

I hadn't considered the synodontis before, but that sounds kinda cool.

Does this information help identify the threat level?

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Yes any additional fish will make your tank overstocked. Except you could add a group of 5 synodontis multipunctatus to handle ongoing fry control for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.

Just for clarification. Are you suggesting 13 adult mbuna, 2 plecos, and 5 of those synodontis catfish would be ok in my 55 gallon tank?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
That sounds pretty good to me. The cats are going to be expensive, no way around it, but they're not bad looking and add some interest.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You could always get a larger Eel or Oscar and put them in a seprate tank and give them the fry better than being dumped in a rivir/creek. Then agian that sounds a little harsh.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
15 mbuna (3 species with 1m:4f each) that mature at 6" or less plus 5 Synodontis multipunctatus will be a good stocking. One bristlenose pleco will also fit.

If your 2 pleco's are "common" then each one by itself is too big for your tank already, LOL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
loganloganlo said:
You could always get a larger Eel or Oscar and put them in a seprate tank and give them the fry better than being dumped in a rivir/creek. Then agian that sounds a little harsh.
Every couple of months I have to tear down my Mbuna tank and remove most if not all fry that have survived, and my Oscar and JD get a treat.........

·
Registered
264 Posts
loganloganlo said:
Definately don't dump them into a wild body of water. Not only is it illegal but it may also have a negative effect on the native habitat. You want to talk harsh? I have been known to put unwanted fish in my vegetable garden while they are still flopping.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Obviously you miss read that post.. I clearly said it's better than dumping them in a river/creek because that's were most unwanted fish go.. I know it's sad to say but it's the trueth. I didn't say to do that I said it's better than that happening. Before you go blabbing at me for posting a comment you didn't like please reread it to understand all the information.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
There is value to repeating the "don't dump fish" plea whenever the option (even if it is one not taken) is stated.

I did not find Pizzle's post blabbish or that it was implied that you would do such a thing, and my first reaction was to do what Pizzle did.:thumb:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know that you didn't say to dump them in a river as you offered a perfectly acceptable solution of using them as feeders and I'm sure most forum members would never dump fish. I really wasn't trying to come down on you. I just wanted to let anybody reading know that dumping in a river or lake is a very bad idea. I think it needs to be repeated over an over again and this seemed like a good opportunity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts