Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Haven't tested it but can't wait to test it tomorrow. The original one was from Dane whom build it over a year ago. I just can't believe I've never seen it before.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Okay, since nobody has responded, I'll bite. It is obvious you have made something interesting, but what ? I play with pipe and recognize the fittings but what does it do? I'm missing something. Can you give me a clue?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an over flow for your sump, you know for those of us who don't have a drill tank?

The 1 inch pvc sit inside of the bigger 2 inch pvc. I just tested it and it runs super quiet and restarts perfectly. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
krfhsf said:
Lets see that badboy in action. :popcorn:
+1 :popcorn:

I am also interested in see how this works and what not myself. Be nice to not have to drill and have a easy affordable solution for when the day comes that I sump it up.

G

·
These are basically the same as a PVC overflow but a compact PVC overflow where the water comes out is your water level in side the tubes they also don't lose siphon if built the right way. If you were to take away the outer PVC it would just be like a U tube. These are really awesome if you want a quieter solution to an overflow box.

·
Registered
105 Posts
they are great overflows,easyto make i have two on my saltwater tanks and work great,i have two 55 gal tank plumbed together in one big sump,im gonna make some more for the rest of my tanks :thumb : 18fisher

·
Registered
166 Posts
i kinda wish i came across this design when i did my pvc overflow. this one is more compact. anyway you could post the link to the original post or tutorial? would love to try this.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
krfhsf said:
Lets see that badboy in action. :popcorn:
+1 :popcorn:

I am also interested in see how this works and what not myself. Be nice to not have to drill and have a easy affordable solution for when the day comes that I sump it up.
I'll try to make a video tomorrow after work. I just glue another pipe to it so it can't tough water yet.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
LSBoost said:
Here's the video :)

Sweet thanks man! I do want to and will be trying a sump someday. Havent really looked into them that much yet, but really turned me off when I heard about having to drill my tank and all that jazz.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Drilling held me back too. Now I can get a tank off craigslist and make one. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I want to make one of these, I read the link to the original and it confused me. I guess I need to do more research. :-?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Okay I see the mechanics of it now. That video is just what i needed. So how deep are you running the 1" pipe inside in the bottom chambers? I have never owned a sump or operarated one. Sorry For so many questions just trying to expand knowledge before I jump in.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the 1 inch pipe have to stay submerged 100% of the time. It has to be under the 2 inch T and the T has to stay above the end of the 2 inch pipe on the other side, if not then the 1inch pipe will not stay submerged because the water will drain out.

Anyway to answer your question, I cut the 1 inch pipe at a 45degree so that i can just push it all the way to the bottom and water will still be able to flow. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. I don't glue the 1 inch pipe to the 2 inch (2x1) adapter so that i can move it if I need to.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Okay thanks for the helpful info. I am gonna put this in my files to build when i get everything else. I'm sure I will be asking more questions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
good job.
is it possible to make it even shorter?

also, has anyone ever tried using clear pvc or acrylic for the inside pipes?
this is it will blend more with the tank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.