Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 48W18D20H aquarium with Malawi Peacocks. My overflow is on the left and return is on the right. What would you suggest would be ideal nozzle placement direction? I currently have a y adapter with loc-line to two flare nozzles pointing slightly up and across towards the overflow. This placement doesn't do much to get debris off the sand bottom and up to the overflow.

Looking for suggestions to optimize flow for this setup

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don’t think it will get the debris off the bottom that either way I had to add a weave maker in my tank for the same reason my returns pump runs at 7500l a hour also but still wouldn’t move all the debris to the weir enough

·
Administrator
41,505 Posts
I rely on the power of my filtration (the intake) to keep debris up in the water column so it can be swept into the filters. No wave makers or power heads here.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
This is what I've done with the discharge water from my sumps,
Yes, discharge water from your filtration must be planned and managed.
And that, can vary from something as simple as a discharge spray bar, to a full-on Under Gravel Jet System (UJG),

I am a huge advocate for UGJ, as they will:
  • Distribute filter discharge flow more evenly throughout the aquarium water column.
  • Can be directed and placed to remove dead spots on the substrate, that would be prone to debris buildup.
  • Can distribute a massive amount of water flow and pressure throughout the aquarium (Instead of from a single 'fire hose' discharge point)

UGJ can be powered up basically by any source of water pressure. Driven by submerged powerheads, canister filtration discharge. Or of course, a sump. Canister discharge to a UGJ system could be accommodated very discretely by use of low-mounted bulkhead fittings. A sump discharge to UGJ is typically provided by vertical 'stand pipes' that direct the water flow over the lip of aquarium and down into the UGJ piping system. A small anti-siphon hole is drilled near the top of each stand pipe to prevent the contents of the aquarium from flowing back through the UGJ, and down into the sump when the discharge pump(s) are turned off.

·
2,106 Posts
You might try to aim the outlet down towards the bottom of the tank, and create a circular flow across the front of the tank, towards the overflow. This general pattern has worked well for me over the years, but specific flow patterns can be tricky to dial in due to rocks etc. in the tank.

Reactions: Deeda
1 - 7 of 7 Posts