Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into the hobby after raising children for 25 years. My last tank was a std. 55 with tinfoils and a pair of keyholes. I'm ordering a 72"X24"X25" soon and was wondering if anyone has ever had the returns from a sump plumbed up from the overflows but turned(90*) to exit low to drive the UGJ? That way they would be hidden by the BG covering the overflow boxes. If I ever wanted to change things I could just plug the bulkheads and go out the top. I have been reading on this site for a couple months now and have not heard of anyone doing this. Am I missing something? I have a hundred other ?'s I'll ask later. I've never posted before, so if I do something wrong..sorry.

Dan

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've got my 450g plumbed like that. A 1.5" return comes up through the overflow and into a tee above the tank. From there, there are 3 returns going to the left and 3 to the right. 2 of the 3 on each side are normal returns with the third on either end plumbed down into a gravel jet underneth all my rock.

Works great. Only thing to make sure of is that you have anti-siphon holes drilled into your returns, otherwise your tank would drain all the way when shut down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about just using check valves on the returns?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I ordered my 180 this afternoon :thumb: I will pick it up July 14th if all goes well! I am thinking about putting two return pumps from the single sump to my UGJ. My thinking is two smaller pumps will more efficient than one larger pump. I have been reading about these DIY 3-D backgrounds, but it seems most people have more problems than success.Thoughts?

Dan

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Most failures are due to the styrofoam floating, bad mixes and/or curing time before submersion. Thier are also a lot of successful backgrounds where everything went right. Have a look at this sticky to see what has worked for others. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=99515

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I picked up my new 180 yesterday...651 miles round trip. Let the fun begin!!
I decided not to use the sump pumps for the UGJ, instead I'm buying seperate powerheads for the task.
Can someone explain how to post pic's here..so as to be able to keep everyone up to date.
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iceblue..Thanks for the tip on pic's I'll give it a try. I am not a computer guy buy no means..so be gentle!

[/img]http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m469/DanDee54/th_IMG_0938.jpg
http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m469/DanDee54/th_IMG_0943.jpg[/img]

Now for a stand! Ice you got any drawings for a good one for a 180 all glass..it weights 400# empty!
Dan

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that didn't work! :-?

That's better :D Not sure how to enlarge them.

Dan

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Did you download to Photobucket? Under each picture you have several choices to download from. The last one at the bottom already has the quote marks in it. If you left click to block it out in blue you can then right click it to copy. Then just paste it to your post. Do a preview to see if it works. It should give you the larger picture.

I'm no computer guy either and in fact more a ludite then anything else. I have to ask my 12 year old for help when I get in a jam.

Use the "Search Discussion" option at the bottom left of the home page and do a search for diy stands. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy. Thier is a lot of info there.

Nice aquarium by the way. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you take a 90 right inside the bottom of the tank then you can't have a hole for anti-siphon because the line is never above water level. I agree not to trust check-valves. Sorry if I"m mis-reading your intentions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ice..Thanks for the tip...again. My daughter use to help me also, but she has been out of the house for over a year now so I'm on my own. Believe it or not she works for SeaChem! I'm hope'in for a break on supplies! :thumb: Anyhow..I'm going to keep a log on this site of my build..so I need to be trained on how to use it!

Tannable...I'm not going to use the the sump returns for the UGJ. I'll use a couple powerheads instead..and sleep better! They can be hidden in the back corners of the tank.

Thanks Guys,
Dan

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still grinding over the design jorgy. My problem is the large bulkheads out the bottom..I will need enough room to attach them, but I don't want to compromize the double 2" X 4" that are the main supports for the top. My design is 72 1/2" X 26" X 30" tall. With double 2 by's front and back, plus 1/2" plywood front and back, that gives me 22 1/2" from the front to the first 2 by. That's close! I'm still at work, :lol: so I will do some more measur'in when I get home.
Dan

·
Registered
72 Posts
My bulk heads are in the back center. I used 2x4 as well, on the corners I put double legs on it one 3.5 shorter tan the other to bear the weight of the tank. I also used 3/4 birch ply finish grade for my ext. and for the tank to sit on. But mine is a canopy surround and the tank was inserted from the rear because of a face frame. The canopy lifts off for maint. and there is a large front access door for the sump and a small door in the canopy for feeding.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well guys/gals I got started on the stand tonight. I decided on 72 1/2" X 26 1/2" X 30" tall. I know I will have a couple inches in the back of the tank, but I needed the clearance for the bulkheads without cutting the 2X4's. I'll pick up the plywood tomorrow and hope to finish the build. Maybe stain this weekend. I'll be off Friday as my Wife and I are going to the ACA Show in Atlanta :fish: I think I'll be happy this build isn't done yet...my daughter says the fish at this show would bring out the wallet!! :lol:
djoneser..ya I plan on using durso drains in my set-up,Thanks

This helps!!

More tomorrow...I hope,

Dan

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Nice... interested in watching your build up! :popcorn:
The middle pic of the tank in shrink wrap, is that your sump? What are the dimensions on it? Looks to have a nice footprint. Might make an intersting shell dweller tank...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes my sump..it's 36" X 18" X 13"tall. The only problem is ...it's going to be a TIGHT FIT :-? I have 19" between the legs of the stand! I am also tight in height! My plan is to have two separate bio containers with two Quiet One 4000 pumps...one from each overflow, but in a common sump. Do you see a flaw in my thinking?
It's been a long time since my old 55, I need all the help I can get! :D

Dan

1 - 20 of 50 Posts