Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the water in my penguin 250 filter was getting very close to the top. apparently the filters can get so dirty that the water is sucked in faster than it flows out. Of course keeping up on the filter replacement is the best way to avoid this. What do you all do to handle the possibility that a filter could clog and there would be several gallons of water that could flood the room? Is it possible to have a device that detects water overflow and turn off the power to the filter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think I've ever had a power filter backup and spill out. Usually it will just spill out near the intake tube and back into the aquarium - or the pressure will force the water through. Have you tested it? Fill it all the way up and see if it actually does start to overflow (have some towels). If so, I'd strongly suggest getting a different filter.

As far as water sensors - there are a few options. Look for things that people put near their hot water heaters. Floor water sensors. They'll just be loud alarms.

But I just can't believe it would ever come to that. I've had plenty of Penguins and it would be a serious design flaw if they spilled out every time they got dirty.

I'd for sure remove it as cleaning water off the floor is about the worst case scenario of aquarium keeping.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I've never had it actually overflow either...and some of my HOBs have gone a looooooooooooong time without cleaning.

If you are worried, stay ahead of the filter cleaning. But doubt you have anything to worry about. It DOES look risky when that happens, I agree.

So far 10 years and 4 or more tanks with HOBs...never happened.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have 3 HOB filters from different manufacturers, each one has a channel so when the filter material gets "dirty" the water bypasses back into the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts