Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a acrylic tank, 6 x 3 x 29. There are three holes drilled on one end. in the middle is a 2 inch hole (bulkhead is 2 inches hole is actually bigger) and two one inch holes on each side

--------------------------------------------
oOo

there is no cover for the overflow. my questions is can I just put a pipe drain in the middle without the overflow cover? I will probably build up a rock wall around it. I have see this once in a restaurant. What are the possible issues?

I am planning to run 2400 gph which is the rated gph for 2 inch drain.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? I know it's only a day. I think plenty of breeders do this with drilled tanks. but just not sure if it will work for a big tank. will there be a lot of noise etc ...

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
If you have no cover, any fish that fits through the pipe will go through the overflow. I didn't believe that before I built my 240G, and I lost frontosa down the 2" drain pipes that I would have bet money on being too large to fit down those pipes!

In addition, a drain pipe without any kind of muffler will sound like a toilet flushing 24x7. A Durso Standpipeâ„¢ will prevent that.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Fry seem to get around most anything I do, but I'd not want to put too fine of a cover/screen over any drain. Too easy to clog. I use strainers over some of my drain pipes, and also some rolled up plastic gutter guard for the upturned ones. I still find an occasional fry in my drip tray.

This is the drain that got the gutter guard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts