Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I picked up a pair of A. Agassizi (fire red), beautiful looking pair. The female seems to be harassing the male whenever she sees him. I've only had them for 2 days so I'm wondering if this is breeding behavior and I should wait it out, or if this is abnormal and requires a time out. Either way I'm going to the LFS today to see if I can buy some more rocks or driftwood/plants for more hiding areas, even though the current tank has a lot of good ones.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It may be that they already spawned and the female is protecting the spawn site. Is she hanging around one particular area? What is your setup like now?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one huge piece of driftwood and it hollow in certain areas and she hangs out in one particular spot that the first day I had them they were sharing. If she spawned already that was very quick. I also have a coconut cave and a few plants but four of my plant are very small right now.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You can always move the male if things get too ugly. It does seem pretty quick for a spawn, but when they are ready... Post spawn is when you will see the most aggression from females.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
might be easier to catch the male anyway, she only comes out of that little crack to chase him away, then it seems she goes right back. i hope they did spawn, my LFS was really glad that I was the one to get them because im in there a bunch, and they would love the fry if these guys decided to spawn. Such a pretty apistogramma.

·
Banned
178 Posts
ebjdftw said:
might be easier to catch the male anyway, she only comes out of that little crack to chase him away, then it seems she goes right back. i hope they did spawn, my LFS was really glad that I was the one to get them because im in there a bunch, and they would love the fry if these guys decided to spawn. Such a pretty apistogramma.
Haha that's funny, my LFS did the same thing to me, tried to sell me a pair (Apistos) for $50 and said "hey if they have babies you'll make your money back and then some". I didn't fall for it though lol. I won't risk my rams getting beat up by over-protective parents. I hope they spawn for you :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is the male, things have calmed down since i added some more plants today, plants actually looking quite nice.

I'm trying to get a picture of the female, she's very pretty for a female apisto

·
Registered
337 Posts
My pair is the same way, the female being a bit more aggressive than normal but it's the same whether she's on eggs or not the standard broodcare yellow seems to be everyday coloring for the females of this cf. I'm actually a bit relieved that the females seem to have a little more spunk than other agassizi they they fare well being the only female in the tank, where other cfs seem to require 2 or more females.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.