Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 Pseudotropheus socolofi (1m/4f) in a 40 gallon tank. One of them swims up and down, just never stops. Except to eat. Water conditions are perfect. Plenty of caves and hidding spots. They are all very young about 1-1 1/2 inches long. The other fish are all fine. This one just won't stop swimming mostly in one corner, up and down really fast. Its one of the females and they have been in the tank about two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Wait another two weeks and see how it goes. I had a bunch of labs that did this for the longest time in a new tank. I did not believe they could continue to live with all the energy they were expending. They eventually stop.

What are the dimensions of the 40G? Maybe the tank is too small? I know my 38G is 36" long which is too small for socolofi (although fine for grow-out for a couple months). If it is 48" you should be good.

Plenty of caves for mbuna means the tank is filled to the water line with rocks throughout the tank. Don't think in terms of 5 fish, 10 caves. They will feel safer with innumerable cracks, crevices, tunnels, ledges and caves everywhere they look, plus the male will want a patch of substrate surrounded by rock walls (no ceiling required).

Also who else is in the tank?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is a 40 tall. 36 X 12.5 X 25. My plan was 2 or 3 months while I work on one of my 100g to house them. I saw where a guy had socolofi in a tank that was completely done in white. White corel subtrate and white lime stone for the rocks and caves. The blue socolofi where beautiful in there.
These are the only fish in the tank, and its done right as for as caves, tunnels, etc...
I really thought she would kill over after a week, but she does look heathy. I guess I'll give it some time like you said.
Thanks!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts