Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with keeping cichlids outside? I am contemplating an above ground "tank" in the neighborhood of 10' long, 5' wide, and 4' deep. I would frame it out of lumber and line it with a pond liner. I'm in KY so they'd obviously have to come inside during the winter.

If you've had cichlids outdoors, I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a pond at my house with goldfish in it, and a few of my neighbors do too. I have had 10 goldfish in my pond for about 5 years now and take them in every winter. This year I am down to 3 and my neighbors have lost fish too - gone with no trace. I know that it is not a **** because i have a fence set up around it, we believe that it is a bird. I have tried to cover it with screen, but still lost one. They are beautiful outside, but also easy pickin's for birds.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I know that it is not a ****
A what!! Please tell me you are talking about something else!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am pretty sure he means raccoon. The small mammal notorious for breaking into trash cans, houses and roofs. It is certainly not uncommon for raccoons to fish. I have seen a lot online about them fishing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hopefully this will brighten your day. Racoons are pretty resourceful:

I wouldn't rule it out. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I set up a pond every year. I live in Michigan and you only have a short peroid of time to keep fish in it. I get it up and running in late April, and by early June I start putting Fry in it. At that time the temp is up to 75 to 78 degrees. Like I said I use it as a grow out tank and it works great. I do have to worry about birds sometime but I dont have to worry about racoons because the fish are small. And with Michigan weather I have till about the middle of October befoer I have to pull them out. In that 5-1/2 months the fry normally will triple their size. By mid October I pull the fry and shut the pond down till the following year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just figure that it is not them because the fence would be knocked over. I used it as more of a "detector", I was gonna set a trap if the fence was disturbed....but it is still possible..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts