Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends. Relatively new to fishkeeping, even newer to cichlids (but dang! they're amazing!) We have a 36 gallon community tank and a relatively new 75 gallon African rift lake cichlid tank. The first batch of fish we bought for the cichlid tank included a juvenile Hap Ahli. Poor fellow ran into rocks, plants, even the other fish (who were complete gentlemen about it!) We brought him back to our LFS and the owner, who has helped us immensely, suggested he may be blind... so yeah, we took him home again. He learned where to eat and where to hang out and was really growing on us. But sadly, afetr just 2 weeks with us, he died tonight. So. While visiting another LFS tonight we noticed a smallish (3") Oscar alone in a large tank with no tail. He had been at the store for 3 weeks and was "on sale" for $6. He came home with us. We have put him in our community tank for now and are well aware of the special needs an Oscar- especially a "special" Oscar- will soon require. We are also aware that this fellow may view some of our community fish as meals- perhaps not now, but soon. And yes, he will probably never see our cichlid tank. If he survives we are prepared to set him up in a tank of his own and lavish him with attention. Any suggestions/warnings/ideas for 2 such foolhardy softies as ourselves?

Cheers!

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
:lol: =D> =D>

My first oscar was without "tail". When he died from an unfortunate heater malfunction he was only three years old. He measured 13" without his caudal fin! I have yet to have an oscar as large, and he grew up and lived in a 55 that was on display at the pet store I worked at throughout high school. Which was a while ago and I'd like to not discuss how long ago... :lol:

If the stump has healed over he/she will be fine. If not then I suggest a round of melafix, just follow the instructions.

I'd say you've got about two or three months before the O should be in his or her own tank. A 38 will not cut it for long term, but you seem to know that already. You're also wise to not put it with your other cichlids for it will will surely be beaten or even killed.

Good luck! Throw up some pictures and keep us posted!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the Oscar Gods rooting for us? We know we will need to remove Tom Thumb, the tail-less Oscar, from our community tank within a few months. Well, last night some friends dropped by with a fishtank they found on the side of the road. It is an intact 46 gallon bowfront with with working heater, light, and filter. Just disgustingly dirty! I know, after reading the Oscar Sticky, that 55 g is the minimum tank size for an Oscar, but seeing that he has no tail... isn't he like 3/4 of an Oscar? (kidding) We are hoping that this tank size will work for him. On another happy note, Tom Thumb, who was a little grayish when we brought him home, is really blossoming. He meets us tankfront whenever we pass by and is (so far) coexisting peacefully with our little community inhabitants.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruh roh. Tom Thumb just ate a rummynose tetra. I think we'll try him in our cichlid tank until further accommodations are avaiable. Grrr.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know. Our cichlid tank is only a month old, with species all under 2 inches, but I agree he won't do well in there. It's our water change day so we're going to set up the 46 with the water we syphon out, throw in an established sponge filter, and get him away from all our other fishies asap. Then we'll figure out how to get a 55 for him... and a 125 for our little frontosas... oh my.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh my. Hurley (formerly Tom Thumb but renamed because of his voracious appetite) is a big, spoiled baby. He is doing great and, with a tank right next to our couch in the living room, has become quite endeared to us. We've come to realize that his body-wagging enthusiasm when we enter the room isn't exactly affection but begging... but that's ok. He's had to witness 3 times our dog (nicknamed Catfish Dan) devouring all of his cichlid pellets so I don't think there's any love lost there! :wink: At one point we tried introducing a little Jack Dempsey as a tankmate and poor Hurley cowered in the corner, pouting. JD had to go. And his tail is growing back! He's very camera shy, but I'll get around to posting a pic soon.

FishGuy- he's still in the 46 gallon bowfront but you'll be happy to know we have a 55 out in the garage with Hurley's name on it :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Shhh let me live in the belief that they shake because they are happy to see us.... not just because they are pigs and want food lol

Cant wait to see how he is fairing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts