Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our current stocklist for our all male 75 gallon tank. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Lake Victoria
Victoria hap 'red shoulder' (having a hard time tracking down a proper name)
Nyererei mwanza

Lake Tanganyika
*Cyphotilapia frontosa (3)

Lake Malawi
*Dimidochromis compressiceps
Placidochromis electra
Copadichromis azureus
Copadichromis trewavase 'Mloto'
Crytocara moorii
Protomelas sp. Steveni Taiwan (Taiwan Reef)
Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress)
Aulonocara hansbaenschi (Albino red shoulder)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Red)
Aulonocara maylandi
Labridochromis caeruleus

*These guys are moving to a 125 in the next month or so

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Too many fish I think.

And the Frontosa and Empress would both do better in the 72" tank. Perhaps not together however. I have an 8" borleyi and he looks too big for the 75G, I took him out.

I also considered Pundamilia for my all-male hap/peacock tank and was advised they are too aggressive for such a set-up. So I switched to Astatotilapia latifasciata. He is #2 in aggression even then.

A better tankmate for Pumdamilia would be aggressive mbuna. So I am going to try a group with my demasoni.

FWIW.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. Is the "red sided Victoria hap" a Pundamilia? He's actually towards the bottom of the heirarchy (currently). These guys are all still pretty young so I'm sure the pecking order will evolve. It's actually been blue dolphin who's been on probation for harassing the others incessantly. Yesterday he and Red Empress had their dominance showdown and Empress ended up on top. Once there, his black markings returned and, as the dominant male, he's been more of a referee than a bully. So far.

Fortunately our (awesome) LFS is completely amenable to swaps, so the mixture can be tweaked rather easily.

Do you believe that even after we get rid of the fronts and the eye-biter we will still be overstocked (with 12 fish)?

Thanks again for your input!

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I find a dozen to be about right but mine mature at 6" or less. Except the borleyi and when he grows (3" now) I may move them to the 72" tank.

No I don't know what your mystery Vic is...just passing along Pundamilia info given to me. The Nyererei is a Pundamilia.

You won't know how successful the mix is for a year or two. In the meantime things can change constantly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts